Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge

Here we are, nearly half way through July already.
When it gets into the 90's like it is now, I'm ready for fall.
Bring on the pumpkin pie, I say!
Okay, I know this is out of my hands but I would be happy with fall temps all year 'round.
One thing I do love about summer is the position of the setting sun in relation to my backyard.
Every evening the filtered sunlight coming through the woods creates the most gorgeous contrasts.
I was out puttering with my camera and these leaves just seemed to speak to me.


Do you hear them too?
~
So okay, enough of this...on to why we're here...
Joyce's Hodgepodge


...where........say it with me now...
she asks the questions and we answer them on our blogs.
~
1. When was the last time you chatted with a neighbor? About what? (sharing that last bit is optional)

Just a couple of days ago, actually. The conversation came about after her little schnauzer, Amelia, has become determined the past few days to make our yard her yard. She was even coming up on our back deck, peering into the glass door...apparently her way of way saying "Can Oscar and Tasha come out to play?"  Of course my two went ballistic whenever they would see her. During the conversation I had with my back door neighbor I found that young little Miss Amelia has come into her "season" sooner than expected and she was looking for a boyfriend! The heck with Tasha, she wanted Oscar! Poor old Oscar has never been with a woman and he was beside himself. I guess we'll be going out the front door for the next couple of weeks. ðŸ˜‰

2. River, lake, ocean, or waterfall...which one are you most like and why?

Hmm...I'm having flashbacks of that old Barbara Walters interview when she asked Katharine Hepburn what kind of tree she would be. I have never likened myself to any kind of body of water. When I really think about it, I'd say that depending on what was going on at the time would dictate what my answer would be, including one that isn't on the list...a stagnant pond. If I'm being honest here, I have to admit to the times when I have felt like that stagnant pond...nothing really flowing in or flowing out...getting kind of "stinky" and self-absorbed. Getting "re-hydrated" by The Living Water is ,of course, the remedy for this...to make it possible to go with the flow of life, like a river that never stops...even if it dumps you off at the falls. It's always a good thing to never let go of that "Life Preserver". Whoa...that was going out a little deeper than I had intended...

3. July 13 is National Delaware Day. Ever been to Delaware? Delaware is called 'the first state' because it was the first to declare independence from the British. What's your state's nickname and does that moniker make sense to you? If you were in charge, what nickname would you give your home state?

I have never been to Delaware and the only significance July 13th has for me is that is the day when I gave birth to my baby boy, Adam, back in 1982. Adam will be 35 on Thursday. Gee...I feel old.




Happy Birthday, Adam  

And while we're I'm on the subject, as I was looking through photos of him. I came across this one I posted on his facebook page a couple of years ago on his birthday...



I will never forget that morning when he was somewhere around two...I heard something in the kitchen one morning when I was still in bed and when I went downstairs, there he sat... all up in his high chair, a half a box of Rice Krispies poured into the tray and he was eating them dry by the handful. Resourceful little guy, huh? I would have loved to have been able to see just how he managed this! I was glad I had my camera loaded and close by. Okay, enough doting on my baby boy...back to the rest of the question...

So probably the most popular nickname for North Carolina is "The Tar Heel State". The reason why is just too long to explain but you can click here if you want to know. I have not really given this a lot of thought but if I was in charge, I might give NC the name "The Best of Both Worlds", you have the mountains to the west, the sea to the east. What's not to love?

4. What dish did you contribute to the last pot luck meal you attended? Do you have a go-to recipe for pot luck suppers?

Many of ours are potlucks are on Sundays after church at lunchtime. A crock pot of meatballs, a mashed potato casserole and a razzleberry pie were the last items I brought and they are easy and delicious. The meatballs are bought frozen, thrown into the pot and nothing could be easier than dumping out a bottle of chili sauce and a jar of grape jelly onto them.  The casserole is also among the easiest of dishes...prepared instant mashed potatoes (I like the Idahoan Baby Reds, adding some sour cream) layered with shredded cheddar and then topped with more cheddar and French's onion rings. The pie is usually a Marie Callender's and although I can bake a pretty mean berry pie myself, I will not be doing so on a Saturday night before church the next day. EASY is the name of the game! :)

5. What is your number one tip for a brand new parent?

Now that's a tough one, especially in this day and time...but first and foremost, I'd say lean on God and ask for His wisdom. You'll need plenty of His grace and mercy as well. If you have a good mom, get her input and take some (a lot) of her advice and suggestions. And don't be afraid to ask her to babysit. That is all.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

It is 10:00 PM on Tuesday and I'm ready to hit the sack. 
~
So, that's it for another Hodgepodge...
Good night and God bless!
Didn't Red Skelton used to say that??

27 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I can see and hear Red Skeleton now. That's a fun memory. Your little boy grew into a handsome young man! Love the photo and story about the Rice Krispies. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning, The Rice Krispies on the tray makes me giggle; what a precious photo you were able to capture. And poor Oscar, being hunted down by the neighbor dog! lol I love the setting sun thru the woods in our back yard, too. Your photo captured the light beautifully. Wishing you a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, and so many of your responses had me chuckling along...yes, Adam was indeed a resourceful child. You may not want to know how he accomplished all that. 😉 Grape jelly and chili sauce you say...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots going on in this post...(smile). Your son is quite handsome and was quite resourceful as a little guy. Good old Red used to be my favorite comedian. I think we're showing our age here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well now, that Adam is one handsome dude! Happy birthday to him. YES, these grown children has a way of making us feel older don't they? Love that picture of the leaves. Oh it needs a name Debby! You know I name everything! LOL! Hugs and blessings sweet friend. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your recipes for pot luck sound really good. Happy Birthday to your big, handsome son! Now I had to laugh about the dogs. I had two miniature Dachshunds many years ago and when Liesl would come into her season, Max went crazy, crazy. And yes, she had two litters before she was spayed. Max was too fast for us even as we tried to keep them apart.
    I am ready for Fall, too, but like you, summertime is when I get to enjoy magnificent sunsets. Very lovely photo of the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to your son...he looks like royalty! Very handsome! And I love summertime best and the long days and lots of sunshine. Love your photos! Hope you have a beautiful day! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to Adam!

    Delaware is the 'First State' because it was the first to ratify the Constitution, not the first to declare independence. I've been there. Its nice and no tax!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading the rabbit trail about your son and his resourcefulness! Hope he has a very happy birthday tomorrow. I've not been to Delaware, but I have been to North Carolina! The temperature here this morning is 62 so I'd welcome a little of your warmth. Hopefully it will warm up as the day moves on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to your handsome son! I think he was very clever to get the box of cereal and climb up on the chair and eat his breakfast. lol Would have loved to have seen that one. My apologies to Oscar, but I had to laugh at that one. Another great hodgepodge...have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful Hodgepodge, Debby! I loved reading all of your answers and seeing the great photos. That one of the leaves ... wow. I've not been visiting here that long so I don't "know" you all that well yet ... but have you ever sold any of your work? You are a truly amazing photographer!

    Both pics of your son are great but the one with the Rice Krispies is priceless. How fun that you were able to capture the moment with your camera!

    Loved your answers to #s 2 and 5!

    We have potlucks at church nearly every Sunday too. I liked your ideas -- although a couple of other ladies often do meatballs, so I wouldn't be likely to do so. The mashed potato casserole sounds very good! Now I'm thinking I ought to do a post on tried and true potluck recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to Adam, he certainly was one resourceful little man.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to Adam. My son David will be 45 on the 17th!!
    I am so not ready for all YET. You would probably like our summers, it feels more like one long spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could live with Fall all year round. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dear, puppy dogs and the birds and bees. =) Your Adam was a cute little boy and come to think of it also cute as a 35 year old. Have you always had your camera on hand....gorgeous capturing of that moment in Adam's childhood. I love the sound of pot luck meals.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, great hodgepodge answers. Happy Birthday to your son, he is handsome. I laughed over your neigbors dog coming over to visit, it reminded me of our neighbors dog. Your mashed potato casserole sounds yummy. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day and the weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I make crockpot meatballs sometimes too: I get teriyaki chicken ones and add grape jelly and heinz chili sauce. SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday to your dear son, Debby. This is the cutest picture of him as a boy. That is the funniest story of him getting into his high chair all by himself and pouring some rice krispies and enjoying them. I smiled when I read number 5, advice for a brand new parent, as Jess will be having a baby soon. This is wonderful advice.

    What a lovely picture of the leaves in your back yard. I'm glad to hear you love Fall as much as me. : ) It's been well into the 100's here and way too hot.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous lighting on the leaves, they were very outspoken.
    Enjoy your week,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  20. Debby, feel free to go on and on about your boy - very cute, then and now! I've been doing more with the slow cooker lately, a good way to cope with the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love those leafs, too, and they do speak to me. I enjoyed reading your answers...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy belated birthday to Adam :-) Are you staying cool with all this heat?? I go out to take care of the garden and animals and come in drenched in sweat and ready for a nap, lol. Heat is not my friend so I say bring on fall too ;-) Have a wonderful weekend!!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your leaf photo and the lighting. The sunlight dances with the vines in our backyard, too. :)

    A belated happy birthday to Adam. I hope it was a great birthday for him and a happy birth day for you, too.

    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. As for your photo of "summer speak," it's one of those sweet and beautiful reminders to stop, slow down, and take in the beauty around you. It doesn't hurt that you have such a talent for capturing with your camera, what most of us hurry past without blinking. Happy Be-lated birthday to your your handsome son....adorable toddler, too!

    It's always so fun to read your responses to these questions. Hope you are having a great weekend! I'm thinking a lot about Fall, too, and it cannot come quickly enough!

    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree about when it gets in the 90's to looking forward to fall weather. - Loved your pretty leaf shot. Your son looks very handsome. Enjoyed your hodgepodge answers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Me too -- it could be September and October year round, and I'd be happy. Best weather of the year! I'll have to remember the grape jelly and chili sauce, sounds good. And your resourceful little boy turned into quite a handsome man. Happy birthday to him! xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Deb!!!! Oh your son is so handsome - and that pic of when he was small is adorable!!!

    Hey I am finally trying to catch up in blogdom. I may never be able to do so but I will try! I posted today about my granddaughter's first birthday. Can you believe it's been a year already? Where is time flying off to?

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...