Thursday, February 13, 2014

My Snowy Valentine

It's finally happened.


My long anticipated snowfall has come and left a lovely blanket of white...


...the perfect contrast for my beautiful Valentine's Day roses!

I came home to these lovelies on Tuesday.
Hubby was paying attention to the weather forecast...
...smart man :)


Their beauty against the pure white snow almost takes my breath away.

 

I know most of you are SO done with the snow...and I understand...
...but please be patient with me as I gush about it for just a little while.


I have been wanting to make some snow cream for several years.
When I was a little girl growing up in Ohio, this was something we enjoyed every winter.
It actually tasted and had a similar consistency as my mom's homemade ice cream.
As you probably know, it has to be stored in just the right temperature...


...right back out where you got it in the first place :)
This is where it stayed...right outside of the back door on the deck.
When you want some, just open the door and get it...no wet or cold feet!

So...when you are snowed in, what better thing to do than eat, right?
Comfort food...now, that's what I'm talkin' about!

It was going to be one of two things, both were frozen leftovers from Thanksgiving.
Will it be turkey noodle soup or bean soup with ham?
As you see, the bean soup won out...


...with corn bread baked in a newly discovered iron skillet.

I came across it about a month ago, w-a-y down in a bottom shelf in my cabinet.
I don't even remember where it came from but was so glad I found it!
Cornbread baked in an iron skillet....mmm-mmm g-o-o-d...as Andy Griffith would say!


My half had jalapenos and cheddar cheese mixed in the batter :)

Of course, there had to be dessert too, right?
As I was finishing up making his favorite Valentine's Day dessert...
...and I was putting the cherries on top...


...look what happened.

A perfectly shaped heart plopped right out of that spoon!
I thought that was the coolest thing!

Later on I went back out to take more snowy shots and looky here...


...the perfect (almost) snowflake!


Here are more, kind of clumped together but you can still see the individual shapes.
Isn't our Creator just the best?

So...we celebrated on Thursday since he will be off to work for the rest of the weekend...
...if he can get there!
It was a fun "day before Valentine's Day" :)

Well, the cherry cheesecake is calling my name...gotta go!

Happy Valentine's Day, sweet friends!



19 comments:

  1. Wow...those snow flakes are amazing!
    Happy Valentine's Day...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some really amazing photos! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy...hope your V-Day has been great!

      Delete
  3. Happy Valentine's Day to you, Debby Ray! Your photos are gorgeous and I especially like the photos or the red rose - stunning! Hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie...I hope your day was blessed!

      Delete
  4. Hi Debby! Those snowflake photos are amazing! And you are so right, the red against the white of the snow is such a contrast...like red lipstick on a pale face. I'm glad you are enjoying your snow, and that it hasn't caused you any hardships. Instead, you see the beauty in it. So like you, my friend.

    I have never heard of snow cream before? I'll have to Google it for the recipe. We sure have enough snow to make gallons of it!
    Happy Valentines Day, my friend :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceil, thanks for your sweet comments. The snow is melting already and will start getting ugly so it can go bye-bye now! If you are still getting fresh snow and want to try the snow cream, it is really easy. Or course you can make any flavor but we like plain vanilla....no real measurements...just add milk (cream or half & half if you like), vanilla and sugar to taste....whip it up and set back out in the snow (covered). Yummy! I hope your Valentine's Day was awesome!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post! I love the rose in the snow,that is a beautiful image. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post, Debby! The rose looks lovely against the white snow. The snow ice cream sounds good. Hope you have a wonderful Valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What amazing photos of the snowflakes! WOW! You did see a perfect one. And I'm a Southern girl and love cooking my cornbread in a cast iron skillet. I usually make it a little thinner to so that it is really crispy. The peppers and cheese are favs for me, too. Happy Valentine's day my friend! xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's rather refreshing to hear someone be happy about the snow. =D Hope that you get only as much as you want. Snow cream is not something we ever make. Not even as a child did I have any. Is it really good? Wonderful captures of snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vee, yes the snow has been beautiful but like I may have stated before, after it's gone, I'm ready for spring! All I wanted was one pretty snow...and I got it! The snow cream really is delicious. Of course you must use very fresh snow and just add milk or cream (I used half & half), vanilla, and sugar to taste. Whip it up and serve....it doesn't set up hard unless you put it in the freezer...leave it in too long and it gets brick hard, therefore, cover the bowl and set it out in the snow. You can make any flavor you like. It's very light and refreshing but will give you brain freeze if you eat too fast! You really need to try it once! I felt blessed to capture those snowflakes too. I never thought it was possible to do that but I saw one one photography website I follow so I thought I'd give it a try! I hope you Valentine's Day has been blessed!

      Delete
  9. Great pictures Debby ... enjoyed every one of them. Capturing the snowflakes is so unusual ... great job. Your soup looks so good and I make my cornbread in cast iron too. Nothing better. Hope your Valentine day was fun.
    Take care.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful photos! And yes, our Creator is SO amazing...gracious...merciful, and look how something we take for granted has such beauty and DESIGN.

    Cheesecake is a weakness of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comments and for becoming my newest follower! Coming to see you now :)

      Blessings,
      Debby

      Delete
  12. Everything looks so yummy! You are so right, there is nothing better than cornbread baked in a cast iron skillet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did you make your snow cream? We made it growing up but i couldn't remember how so i could make it for my girls this year. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cassidy...I do not have the measurements...just going to guesstimate...depending on how much you make. Take your bowl of fresh, clean snow and add milk or cream depending on how rich you want it...I actually used half n half 'cause that's what I had....add sugar to taste (too much sugar will keep it from setting back up) and vanilla...that's all! I know some who make a chocolate version too...not sure what they use. Anyway, mix it all together, cover it and immediately set it back out in the snow. Give it a little while to chill and store it there as long as you have some...the freezer will make it too hard i think. I hope you get to make some! Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...