Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Glimpses of Octobers Past...and How to Make a Baby

Hello friends and Happy October!
I love this month and will love it even more when the temperatures start to behave.
We got a little teasing last week with some cooler temps but they were short-lived...
...no surprise there!

So since there is really no fall-ish stuff going on here (yet),
here are a few fall photos from the archives so we can at least pretend!


Remember that time when the wind blew a perfectly shaped leaf wreath upon my deck?
I don't either...but it sure was fun pretending.


Our lovely local Lake Michael, taken a few years back...


I really need to take a drive out there again soon.

 
I just love pretty pumpkin stems, don't you?
~
 Sooo.... now that we have that out of the way,
I will continue to dream of cool fall breezes and falling leaves until it actually happens.
But until then, I have a little tutorial for you.
And it has nothing whatsoever to do with the autumn weather...or the lack thereof.
I want to teach you how to make a baby!

WHAT?? YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW??

Ohhhh...I'm not talking about that kind of a baby!!
Keep on scrolling and I'll show you what kind of baby I'm talking about.
~
So on Sunday I attended a baby shower for a young mother-to-be at my church.
She was registered at Target but I rarely go according the registry when it comes to gift giving.
I enjoy giving something a bit unexpected but also quite practical.
The idea came to me to construct a sweet little "baby boy" even though she is expecting her own.
It has been twenty years since I made the first one and then several years later, my second.
This is the third one and each time I think I have done something a little different.
Shall we get on with the tutorial?


STUFFED "BABY" GIFT TUTORIAL
(I couldn't think of what else to call it...lol!)

Here's what you will need to purchase...the colors and designs of course depend on whether the expectant mother is having a boy or a girl:
  • baby blanket, somewhat plush or bulky (y'all don't want to the baby too skinny)
  • Onesies (I purchased a 3-pack sized 0-3 month size...the larger the size, the more "fillings" you will need)
  • whatever outfit to dress the "baby" in, same size range...I chose a 2-piece long sleeve/long pant set...easier to form the body in.
  • bibs, again I just purchase a 3-pack set but this is totally optional
  • a hat or cap...many little outfits come with one
  • anything else you chose to add such as a toy (rattle, stuffed animal, teething ring, etc.)
 At this point, the choice is up to you as to how much you want to spend. There are many other things you can add inside the clothing (crib sheets, receiving blankets, bath towels, washcloths) or outside (sweater, jacket, shoes & socks, etc.)...this is where you can use your imagination! I believe the first baby I made was stuffed with crib sheets and towels. I actually wrapped it up in the blanket and tied with a bow when it was all put together. Be creative!
 


I thought the zoo animals were cute so I kept with the theme. 
When I came across that darling little elephant, I knew he had to play a part! 
Buried deep inside his belly is a squeaker, I think there might be a rattle in his behind 
and his ears have crackly plastic inside....he's just a noisy little elephant!


So now let's get started putting this little baby boy together, shall we? 
Begin by folding the blanket in half vertically, with the longest measurement going up and down.


Next, form a ball about the size of an infant's head using batting, 
tissue paper or like I did here, using bubble wrap...


...and then place the ball inside the exact center of the blanket. 
I used a piece of ribbon to tie around the ball to make the baby's neck.


As you can see, the baby is already starting to take shape...
or is that Casper the Friendly Ghost??

 

Now, using a Onesie, start to create the body by dressing the "baby"...
 this will help you to form and shape the arms and legs and then build on that by adding 
the rest of your purchased baby clothing and other items.


As previously stated, I bought a three-pack set of Onesies so to help me form the bottom half,
I folded and "hid" the other two in his pants, so to speak...lol! 
They basically became...the...crotch...THERE, I SAID IT! ðŸ˜²


As you can see, it's lookin' a bit more like a baby!


Now it's time to put some pants on this little guy...again, the outfit helps to shape the body. 
Work the blanket down into the pants sort of sculpting the legs and feet. 
The footed long pants work best and shoes may even be added if you like.



I hid two of the bibs that were in the three-pack underneath his little jacket and then buttoned him up.

 
He's quite the little chub-muffin, don't you think?
And he's also taking up most of the slack in that little outfit.
No worries though...after a trip through the washer and dryer, it should be back in shape!




And now for the hat...

 
And here he is...a bouncing baby boy!
 


But I thought he was looking a bit peaked, 
so I printed out a cute little face and stuck it on with tape...lol!


There really are no limits to what you can use to construct the baby. When I have made these in the past, I actually stuffed the head with a usable items such as a bath towel or crib sheet. Another cute idea is to also find a stuffed animal about the size of a baby and dress it all over with baby items which can then be wrapped up in a gift blanket. No matter what you decide, just have fun with it and I will promise you that he or she will be the hit of the baby shower! And the look on the little mama-to-be's face will bring joy to your heart!


And the best part is that no wrapping is necessary!
~
Now, go on out there and enjoy your October!

28 comments:

  1. Debby... that baby gift is beyond adorable! I sent your link to 3 of my pals. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute, cute idea. Hope someone I know has a baby so I can make one of these. I think our "kids" are all done having kids so will have to wait a bit.

    It is fall here!! Cold and rainy and the leaves are finally changing. We had a long hot, humid summer. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the cutest stuffed baby doll, Debby. And it really got to me, as I have grandbabies now. Cloth dolls are the best, and kids always seem to keep them forever. You did a great job making it. Your Autumn pictures are so pretty, and it will arrive before you know it.

    Happy October!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me worried when I saw the title.LOL I wasn't sure what to expect.The 'baby' is so adorable and a great idea. I hope you get to enjoy your fall soon.We have had chilly weather, many leaves have already dropped, leaving the bare trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are too funny! I may actually remember when those leaves whirled into a wreath...let me check my created memories.

    That baby idea is priceless! I wish that you had done this last fall when I needed an idea, a clue, something. I must have given many of these items, but I did not present them creatively. And we all know it's about the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Debby! This is soo funny and creative and perfect, all in one! Love love love it! Your creativity is inspirational, and I will have to remember this idea for the next baby shower that comes 'round! And that darling little face you found too, oh its too much! It must have been the highlight gift at the party! Enjoyed your pictures of fall... hoping you get to enjoy some fall colors soon :) Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness what an amazing gift, very clever. I have never come across anything like this before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cute, what a great gift idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brilliantly ingenious baby shower gift, Debby. I love your cute little baby boy! I did wonder when I read the title of your post, if perhaps you were going to create medical history.....a miracle no less. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, that is just the cutest idea you should definitely put that on Pinterest. Your fall pics are so pretty. We're back to summer temps with no sign of fall after a little tease a couple of weeks ago. Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute idea for a baby shower gift! What? Those leaves didn't just blow into a leaf on your porch? Hoping you have cooler days soon. Temperatures are cooling off graduallly here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a clever and creative baby shower gift!! I'll bet that "he" was the star of the party!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, Debby, that is such a cute shower gift, and you did such a great tutorial!!! I'm sure the stuffed baby boy was a hit at the shower, and with such usable gifts all tucked in the making of him. Thank you for sharing!
    Your Fall pics are sooooo pretty. I'm still waiting here in Texas, too, for Fall to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Debby this is incredibly creative! What a fun gift!! I've got to bookmark this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awe, the pictures are beautiful! WOW...that lake......Oh would I so enjoy a cup of coffee sitting by that lake. GIRL....your baby boy is adorable! What a neat gift to give. Things like that mean so much because it not only takes a little money but TIME! Love it girlfriend. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debby, you always have the BEST posts! Those fall pictures are beautiful, and I was thinking, I've never seen leaves fall in a perfect wreath like that!! Then I read on. :) That baby boy is the most amazing thing! That would be so much fun to make, of course, I would probably hate to part with it once it was finished. Just kidding. It is so adorable. You picked out the cutest things to use for the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my word, Debby! This is the neatest thing!!! I can only imagine what a hit this would be at a baby shower! The little guy is just so adorable and precious and practical, too, which I LOVE! The only problem is I would never be able to take him apart to use all those goodies ~ he is just way too cute! LOL! Thank you for sharing this tutorial with us, and I was SO thrilled to see that it didn't require one drop of sewing. This is something even I could do! Sending love and hugs your way today!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had to just scroll through and enjoy your wonderful photos because I am not gifted in that area! What a beautiful gift and whoever receives it should treasure it forever! Beautiful photos and your Fall takes my breath away to think of enjoying such beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful Autumn photos. Love the baby.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow isn't that a clever idea. I've never seen anything like that.
    Beautiful fall photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an adorable idea for a baby gift!! Thanks for the tutorial! Your photos are beautiful! Thanks for stopping by my blog today! Happy October to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my what a cool way of making a doll! Love....and I love your fall pics.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea! Now I can't wait for someone to have a baby shower. lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous Fall scenes and an adorable baby.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a very cute idea for a baby gift. I can seldom think of anything really inspired for baby shower gifts, but I have pinned this one!

    Autumn photos are lovely too. Today is really the first crisp, cool, sunny fall day we have had. Foliage seems to be changing overnight!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Debby, the "stuffed" baby is such a fun and cute idea! I love it :) It definitely puts a fun twist on giving baby clothes.

    And your pictures, like always, took my breath away. Autumn is such a beautiful time. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my! This is the cutest thing! Our daughter is expecting a little boy, so this is giving me some great ideas! What a great gift. xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Enjoyed seeing all of your pictures … so colourful.
    Love the baby - what a good idea :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...