Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Wednesday Medley (with a side of French Toast)

Hello and Happy Wednesday to you!
 
It has been a whirlwind of a week for sure...
...and losing my completely finished post last night has made it even more so!
I have no idea what happened and I have been trying to recover it with no avail.
I wrote a big long story about our crazy Thanksgiving dinner but now realize
y'all didn't really want to read all that mess!
 
So...let me try this again.
 
 
I missed being able to link up to the Wednesday Medley last week with all that was going on.
So let's get right to the questions from Terri, our friend from Florida...
...just go to her blog, copy the questions and paste them to your blog and answer them!
 
 
1.  On November 28th, 1995, President Bill Clinton ended the 55 MPH nationwide speed limit that began in 1974 as an energy saving measure during the Mid-East oil embargo.  If you are old enough to remember this (I sure am) did it make you happy?  Do you have a heavy foot when driving or does 55 MPH sound good to you?
 
Oh yes, I remember it well and I can also still remember the voice of my high school Driver's Ed. teacher echoing through my brain, "Let's go 70", the moment we pulled onto the highway. It never did make it back up to 70 mph in my area...they brought it up to 65 where it still stands today. And no, going 55 on the highway never made me happy. I tend to travel about 5 miles above the limit, no matter what it is and pretty much follow the flow of traffic. Do I have a heavy foot? Wellll.....that depends on what you call heavy. 😉
 
2.  You are home alone on a rainy/snowy Sunday afternoon.  What Christmas movie will you watch? 
 

This movie came out last year and I can't say that I gave it much thought until recently. I have had it on my Amazon Prime watch list, just waiting for the right opportunity, which will hopefully be this rainy Saturday evening. And look who plays Charles Dickens... that beautiful actor Dan Stevens, a.k.a. Matthew Crawley from Downton! I understand Dickens had some issues when he was trying to come up with "A Christmas Carol", my favorite Christmas story, and this is what it's all about. I am hoping it's as good as it looks!

3.  What is something you have tried that you will never try again?

Cooking a 25 pound turkey in an electric roaster. My intent was to cook two smaller turkeys but could not find 12 pounders anywhere so I had to get the largest one I could find that would fit. It was not an easy task wrestling with that puppy in the sink beforehand, let alone after it was cooked. I wasn't thinking about the fact that the borrowed roaster was missing the rack to lift it out with. Oh....you should have seen me....never again.

4.  Today is National French Toast Day!!  Will you have some?  Do you like French Toast?
 Do I like French toast? Are you kidding? But, I won't be delighting in any today. Have you ever had the casserole version?? Oh my!

5.  The Christmas Tree in Rockefeller Center will be lighted today, as will the one at the White House in Washington, D.C.  Do you have your tree up and is it lighted?  Have you ever been in New York City or Washington, D.C. to see the trees all lit up during the holidays?

No Christmas decorations are up yet but hopefully this weekend I will get a good start if not completed. Yesterday, my sweet hubby did bring it all in from the garage though so I am one step closer! I have never been to NYC for anything and the only time I was in DC, the cherry trees were in bloom.

6.  Tell us something random about this week of yours.
 
We topped off the Thanksgiving week by celebrating Dacey's (our oldest grandson) birthday on Sunday. He is not a teenager anymore...the boy turned 20! How can this be?? Of course, I was a VERY YOUNG grandma...haha! Aaron (his dad) smoked a huge pork shoulder in his refrigerator... seriously, he did! Pictures don't lie!
 

 
So this is Dacey when he was just a few weeks old, tucked down inside the Christmas stocking that I made him all those years ago. He is big into working out and when he saw my mini-trampoline, he said he would like to have one...so guess who got him one? He is in the process of losing a few pounds for the USAF fitness test...he already passed the written test with flying colors! We are so proud of this smart kid!
  

 
So this is my abbreviated version of the post that got lost.
I'm still scratching my head as to how that happened...
...but after all, it's Blogger, right?
 
Enjoy the remainder of your week!
 


 

22 comments:

  1. He is so super adorable and grown!!!! It is not fair how fast the time goes...every time I see my nieces and nephews they look sooo much older!!! Time definitely flies!!!
    That is a great invention...smoking meat in an old refrigerator! WOW! Great idea and it looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, seems these grandkids grow up too fast, all 9 of mine are young adults now. Good news is we now have great grandkids!! Enjoyed reading your answers and Happy Birthday to Dacey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a handsome young man and what sweetness in that sock! I can see you wrestling with that huge turkey. Mercy! We saw that movie when it came out. I have it on my watch list with Amazon among several others. Last night I saw one that piqued my curiosity, so I watched it. A Christmas Miracle with Jimmy Durante. I never was a fan of his, and the movie was kinda corny, but sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your handsome and accomplished grandson!

    Debby, I had huge problems publishing my post yesterday. I sent at least three emails with screenncaps to Feedback. Good thing I had it saved elsewhere. It only cleared up when I pasted it in on my iPad. Crazy!

    So the turkey gave you a tough time?! Thanksgiving is a lot of work, but hopefully, the memories are worth it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Debby! Good for your grandson in aspiring to the USAF. A happy birthday to him. I enjoyed your medley. Half the battle is getting those bins where we can reach them and empty them. Enjoy your decorating. What a great smoker! My medley is here: https://happywonderer.com/2018/11/28/wednesday-medley-3/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, blogger does sometimes do strange (and annoying) things … but I enjoyed your post and say Happy Birthday to your grandson … it is true, the years pass by so quickly.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to your grandson. They grow so quickly, don't they? The smoked pork tasted amazing, I'm sure. Enjoy your Christmas decorating. I will probably do a little on the weekend and more when we get the tree. We get a real tree so we don't put it up until mid-December.
    So annoying and frustrating to lose a post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to Dacey! I love the pictures! Loved your answers! Enjoy the rest of the week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the French Toast Casserole is divine! It's so aggravating when you loose a post into thin air. Ugh! Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We just watched "The Man Who Invented Christmas" and loved it again this year! Thanks so much for joining the Medley today!! I really want some French Toast... right now! LOL Amazing, turning the refrigerator into a smoker! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now why do I feel like I have missed out on a great story?! How does cyberspace eat a blog post? Blah.

    We enjoyed The Man Who Invented Christmas. It was a cleverly told story. Happy birthday to your handsome grandson! How is it that grandchildren grow up SO quickly? Our oldest turns 16 in a couple of weeks and I am in denial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love French toast and don't make it often enough to please me. My tree is up and I'm enjoying it.Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was impressed by smoking meat in the fridge, my goodness. How cute to see your Grandson in his stocking and now all grown into a handsome young man. Time certainly flies by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing your family photos. HATE that you lost your post....how annoying! I've heard that movie is so good but I haven't seen it yet! Enjoy your day! I'll come over in a little while and help you set up your village! heeheehee! I WISH!!! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday to the birthday boy! Or should I say man? Mercy, these youngins grow up too fast too suit me. Girl, I bet that big old turkey was a handful! I can see your little self now trying to handle that bird! LOL! Let's see what I can answer for you today dear friend.
    1. I also drive at least 5 miles over the speed limit. 55 on a highway is STUPID!
    2. White Christmas with Bing Crosby. I love all the singing and dancing.
    3. Kale, berries, and all that mess mixed up in a juice to drink! DEAR LORD! I would rather do without anything than to try that mess again!
    4. I won't be having any french toast but I sure do like it and haven't had any in forever! Maybe it's time I whip up a bath!
    5. My Christmas tree is up with lights and decorated. I finished it the night before Thanksgiving which is something I have never done before. I've always waited till after Thanksgiving. However, it takes me all day now to do what it used to take me 2 hours to do so I had to start a little early. And I bought me a dang skinny tree last year to take up less space and TIME and I be darn if it still didn't take me forever! I have never been to New York. Two of my daughters has and one of them has been twice. Once during the Christmas holidays and she said it was absolutely beautiful. They are trying to talk me into going next year during the holidays on a mom-daughter trip. I've already got a bag packed. LOL!!!!!
    6. I plan to get some Christmas gifts wrapped this weekend and get them under my tree. And I am really excited that I was smart last year after Christmas and bought my wrapping paper at 90% off!

    I hope you have a great day my friend. Stay warm.
    Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday to your handsome, intelligent grandson! Yes, where do the years go. It is amazing to think back on how our children got to be almost 50 and grandchildren half that age. They weren't supposed to me old so quickly. Enjoyed your re-done post today. Isn't the cyber world an ever ending challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't that crazy that your post was lost?? I drive 5 miles over, too, Debby. I couldn't believe about that refrigerator turned into a smoker...How clever!!! Happy birthday to your handsome grandson, Dacey. My oldest grand turned 18 and wants to join the Marines after graduation. Thank you for the heads-up on the movie. I have Amazon Prime and I'll be sure to watch it. Happy decorating to you, My friend! It's a lot of work, but always looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sweet to catch up with you today, my friend! Oh, my, I know how frustrating it can be to pour your heart into a document, then the computer act up and lose it! I would have loved to have read about your adventures, but so thankful you persevered and wrote this post. That french toast casserole sounds amazing. I haven't tried that one. God bless you and yours this beautiful Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such fun to read, Debby! Happy birthday to your grandson and wow! that smoked pork looks amazing. I can see you wrestling with that turkey. I had bought one but we had to throw it away as our fridge died while it was thawing.

    And yes ... French toast casseroles are so good! Have you ever tried the one with blueberries? Scrumptious ... and raspberries are even better!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haven't watched that movie yet, I'll have to find it on prime :-) mmmmm french toast, I actually haven't had that in awhile, but now you are having me crave some, lol. Hope you are having a wonderful week!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  21. Debby, sorry your post disappeared--that would have made me mad! I was shocked to see the dates on the 55 thing; I didn't remember it going on for that long! Part of me hated it, and part of me kinda liked it, as I recall.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I"m going to look for that movie on Amazon; it looks very good.
    I make a Holiday Eggnog French Toast casserole that is just marvelous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...