Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Fishing for Spring: A Hodgepodge

Did someone mess with the calendar?

Did the month of February get lost or stuck between the other pages or something?


These are the questions I've been asking myself here lately.


I don't mean to rub it in...I know that many of you are still up to your eyeballs in snow...
...and I realize this is not the norm, even for us.


And just as these words are being typed, I know it could all change overnight.
So just in case Old Man Winter decides to return, and I'm pretty sure he will,
here are a few more glimpses of our early spring from the past few days.


These daffodils grow smack-dab in the middle of the woods next to my house.


I have no idea how they got there but they come up every year...
...such a beautiful contrast compared to the stark, colorless, naked trees.
~
So...now on to the Hodgepodge part of this post...


...where Joyce asks the questions and we answer them on our blogs.

Here we go!

1. Have you ever been fishing? Did you catch a fish? If so did you keep it or throw it back? If you haven't been fishing is that something you'd like to try? Fish out of water, big fish in a small pond, living in a fishbowl, packed in like sardines, this is a fine kettle of fish, plenty of fish in the sea, or cut bait...which fishy phrase most recently applies to some area of your life?

Yes, I have done a little bit of fishing, mostly when I was much younger...both on land and on sea. I think the deep sea fishing experiences have been more exciting and fruitful as well. Mostly, when I have done any fishing at a pond or whatever, the fish get thrown back but we kept what we caught out on the sea. I'm kinda finicky when it comes to my fish...not so crazy about the kind that live in fresh water. Sometimes I feel as though I'm a fish out of water. I mostly present myself to be confident and secure in who I am and what I'm doing, I would be lying if I said I always feel that way.

2. What's something you're always fishing for in your purse, wallet, desk, or kitchen junk drawer?

Batteries in the kitchen junk drawer.

3. Your favorite fish tale or movie?

A Perfect Storm

4. Are you sunrise, daylight, twilight or night? Explain why you chose your answer.

All the above. I am up before sunrise every morning without fail...no matter what day of the week it is, at noon I have already been up for 7 hours, by twilight I sometimes have gotten my second wind (sometimes not) and I rarely (if ever) go to bed before 11 pm. If I try to go to bed any earlier, I will wake up at 2 am thinking it's time to get up! I have functioned this way for most of my adult life, getting by on 5-6 hours of sleep. Try as I might, I cannot sleep in past 5:30 or 6:00...and that is pushing the limits. Lord, help me.

5. What's the oldest piece of clothing you own and still wear?

Oh my word...Joyce, have you been looking through my windows?? Yes, although I hope and pray I am never caught dead in it, there is this one thing. It is a threadbare house dress that is held together with safety pins, there are holes under both arms (great air conditioning in those warmer months) and it is the most comfortable thing to wear when I just need to "be free". Oh my...I better stop now before I embarrass myself more than I already have.

6. We've got one more month of (officially) winter here in the Northern hemisphere. Are you feeling the need for a getaway? What's been the best and worst part of your winter so far?

Not really feeling much need to get away since spring has already sprung here, as temporary as it may be. The best part of the winter so far has been the one pretty snow that we had in January. The worst part of the winter so far was that we only had that one pretty snow back in January. I would have liked more but now these springtime temps have spoiled us rotten, I'm done with winter...I hope :)

7.  The Wednesday Hodgepodge lands on National Margarita Day...will you be celebrating? Frozen or on the rocks? Are you a Jimmy Buffet fan? If so, what's your favorite JB tune?

No. Neither...unless it is iced tea, then on the rocks. Not really (nothing against you, Jimmy). I spent a year or two in my younger life "wasted away". 'Nuf said :)

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

True confession time...I have already had my A/C on a couple of times.
~
Have a great week! 

33 comments:

  1. Isn't it crazy how early the jonquils are blooming this year? And the Bradford Pears!!! I think we're going to get hit...meteorologists are comparing this year to '93 when we had a blizzard (no exaggeration!) in the middle of March!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to laugh at your clothing answer :) Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...you have already had your AC on. Amazing as so many parts of your country are still buried under snow. Thank you for the mind pictures of the old house dress....just a little too much information. =D Lovely photos of Spring springing in your part of the woods. It does look as if Spring is just around the corner...BUT...you never know with Old Man Winter, he can hang around. He likes to play silly frigid tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Batteries, yes they can be a pain to find at times. I broke down and bought one of those organizers with slots to stack them by size. It hangs on the wall in the shoe/vacuum/water heater closet downstairs and it even includes a little "test me here" slot to see if your battery is still good. Your house dress sounds just like my track suit top that's my oldest piece of clothing - again, only for wearing IN the house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flowers are beautiful, Debby! And we too have been enjoying unseasonably warm temps. I'm another one who regularly gets 6 hours (or sometimes less) of sleep, and also can't go to sleep before 11 or I'll be up at 2 am! I laughed at your already using AC. Isn't it crazy! Have a wonderful Wednesday. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those daffodils are so pretty, Debby...wish some would pop up near our home, though I have seen them in various places. Makes me think of my granny who had them in her yard. I am one step away from cranking on the A/C. Doesn't feel like February!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are positively breathtaking, Debby! Those daffodils make me so happy. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The daffodils are so pretty in the forest. I remember seeing beautiful big beds of them at old homeplaces when I was growing up. We've had a mild winter and the ceiling fan has had a workout! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've had up and down temperatures all winter long but we are enjoying a warm spell now.
    Maybe squirrels buried the bulbs years ago and forgot about them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning to see the photos of Spring all around in all its beautiful glory. I did smile at your clothing answer, we all have something...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes here in the UK, some areas, have experienced warmer than usual days.

    Your photo's are just lovely ... what a super look at your early spring.

    May the rest of your week be good

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. My AC is on right now. More due to hot flashes than the weather, but of course, it is unseasonable warm in TN as you well know. I am glad I've finally found the time or taken the time, to visit your blog. I love Instagram, but it's here that we get to know each other more. I've felt a bit disconnected from everyone lately, missing home and getting used to being the child in my adult children's eyes. I guess I should have seen that one coming. I still want to meet you. I promise I'm not as dreary-down in person. It's easy to blog about the hard days, but I have more good than bad. I'm really a fun person or so my friends say that I'm funny. Love you girl. Your photos are exceptional as always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We haven't had our a.c. on yet, but I have enjoyed this very mild winter for sure. March is always a bit temperamental, but I'm hoping it stays springlike. I'm hosting a baby shower here, and would really love to have it outdoors. I know winter likes to rear its head in March, but maybe not this year? Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debby, I am lovin' the glimpses of spring around your neck of the woods. The daffodils are so pretty surrounded by the dreary wintery trees. I love the movie The Perfect Storm also, great actors. It's always nice to get to know you better through the hodgepodge. I have another blog friend who participates in this, Carla from The River.

    Enjoy the spring days while they last. It's been raining like crazy here.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  16. You certainly describe our angst about winter and early spring well. I've decided just to enjoy the color and not look back. And I'm hoping the pollen will be less, not sure why it would be, but there's always hope! Pretty pictures! And enjoyed your fishy answers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your photos are just gorgeous. I love seeing these early blooms and like you say, we might as well enjoy because it could sleet/snow at any time! Some of our worst ice storms in GA have been Feb - Apr. I know you and I both are early risers. Before I discontinued fb, we were always the first ones to say "good morning!"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Debby! We are also experiencing some very wierd spring-like weather. Not like February at all. My hyacinths are starting to push up from sleep, and it's supposed to be in the 30's next week. I just hope they make it!
    The daffodils are so pretty, I love those. I have jonquils in my front yard, and I suppose they are itching to bloom too. "Stay down!!!" Is what I say.
    Not a margarita girl myself, but I don't turn down red wine :)
    Enjoy your fabulous landscape,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  19. No snow here in Kentucky. Flowers are blooming and our fruit trees will end up blooming soon. Crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love love love those photos of the daffodils. Gorgeous. I can hardly wait to see things popping out in my gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those early signs of spring are so pretty. I hope you don't get a cold spell to damage these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos. Spring is determined to make an appearance everywhere, it seems, and is very welcome :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those spring photos are simply gorgeous! Still lots of snow here, but warm temps this week are melting it rapidly!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, my! I know what you mean! It has been SO warm where we live, and I keep saying, I am not ready for spring! I love winter so much, so I am not too fond of the idea of spring coming so early and so soon. I need to be grateful for whatever God sends and not complain. God help me. Take care, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh how I could relate to your house dress, though my love was for a pair of slip on flowered boat shoes from Old Navy. My dear husband shoe gooed them a number of times until there was no longer any hope or life left in them. I had a burial for them at the end of last Summer, quite sad it was. 😂
    Those early Spring days can make for ugly fall colors, at least where I live anyway. When things happen too soon it's not good, even though the days are lovely warm and beautiful.

    It's always enjoyable reading your Hodgepodge posts,Debby

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh how I could relate to your house dress, though my love was for a pair of slip on flowered boat shoes from Old Navy. My dear husband shoe gooed them a number of times until there was no longer any hope or life left in them. I had a burial for them at the end of last Summer, quite sad it was. 😂
    Those early Spring days can make for ugly fall colors, at least where I live anyway. When things happen too soon it's not good, even though the days are lovely warm and beautiful.

    It's always enjoyable reading your Hodgepodge posts,Debby

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am with you about the ready-for-spring attitude, even though we've had such generally moderate weather this winter. (I think it's really the germs I am tired of!) It was so warm this evening, we ate dinner on the porch. What?!

    Your daffodil photos are stunning! My husband just pointed out a couple in our yard that have opened today! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  28. HI Debby! I loved your early Spring photos. We've had days in the 80's here and I'm fearful of how hot our summer is going to be. I've had to have the air conditioning on already, too. Loved your description of your favorite house dress. I'm an early riser, too, Debby, and before the sun comes out. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. We too have early spring flowers I just dont know whats going on... I do belive February got lost... lovely photos.. with love Janice Happy weekend, Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely shots of this unusual Spring-Comes-In-Winter for many of us!

    I am worried about our bushes / fruit crops etc. though taking my walks on a lovely spring morning ( IN FEBRUARY ) banished the worries and just had me enjoying the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for sharing the lovely spring photos. :-) Our spring here in Central Texas is coming early too. Here we may make it through without another frost, or we could have another hard freeze. You just never know. Last night we dipped to around 37F. I've run the AC a few times already too, but we needed the heat again last night and will tonight.
    Have a good Lord's day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. And I'm asking where bloggers are? Ahem...moving right along. Your housedress sounds as if you may need a new one for sure. Ha! I am enjoying the wonderful photos. I doubt that old man winter will be back in earnest now that all the budding and blooming is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous photos, Debby, of spring sprouting and spreading its pretty blooms and blossoms in your neck of the woods.

    I know what you mean about chaotic sleep patterns; lights out for me is normally around 1 a.m. and I'm usually up before sunrise. Having said that, I do function better on 7 hours of sleep.

    Have a terrific Tuesday, my friend!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...