Wednesday, July 5, 2017

A Red, White and Blue Hodgepodge


Hello, and I hope everyone enjoyed a fabulous July 4th holiday!
Jim was working his 5-day stretch so Aaron and Michelle had me over on Monday evening.


I had to share this photo of Aaron's very organized grill...it looks like a summer food wreath!
If you ever saw the inside of his shop, you'd also find it very organized as well...
...a place for everything and everything is in it's place.
He did not learn this skill from his mother, unfortunately. 😒
After we feasted on dogs, burgers, fresh corn and squash and red velvet cake,
the boys presented us with a little fireworks show.
My phone was just about out of juice and this is the only photo I got...oh well.


This is my sparkler...some people never grow up.
~
As I write this post, it's Tuesday afternoon and I have spent the day just hanging out with the dogs...
...this kind of dog too.
I rarely eat hot dogs but something happens around the 4th of July and I get a real hankering.
I wasn't going to fire the grill up for a couple of dogs so I did the next best thing.


Hey....it works great!
It was delicious and I plan to have another for supper. 😉


So anyway, let's get on to the Hodgepodge...

...where Joyce asks the questions on her blog and we answer them on ours.
Click on over and join us!
~
1. When and where were the best fireworks you've ever seen? The best fireworks display that I ever remember seeing was several years ago in Troy, OH when we were visiting my oldest sister. We sat out in her backyard and had the best seats ever since they live right across from where they were shooting them off. They went on and on and the grand finale went on for even longer...it was AWESOME! Speaking of fireworks...do you know your hot buttons? The things people can say and/do to set you off? I don't really have many...but OK....people driving like idiots would probably be close to the top of my list. And just let me say this...you can mess with me but you better not mess with one of my kids, especially when they were young. Now I'm not saying that they didn't deserve getting messed with...if you get my drift. 😠Then there are those people who are still, after six months, not able to accept the fact that Donald Trump is our president and choose to spew hatred toward him on a daily basis. When was the last time someone pushed one of your hot buttons? Hmmm....don't remember...that's a good thing, right?

2. Have you hosted any outdoor summer parties this year? Nope. Attended any? Yep, last night. What makes for a great outdoor party? Not too hot and no bugs.

3. What does freedom mean to you? It really means everything to me although I would be lying if I said I have never taken my freedom for granted. Oh, unintentionally, for sure, but it's easy to do when we don't have to live in constant fear and just settle into our little comfortable lives. More and more, I am being reminded on a regular basis of just how precious it is. Not only the freedom that I have of living in this country, but the freedom of being able to know and have a personal relationship to The One who sets every captive free.

4. July is National Cell Phone Courtesy month...what annoys you most about people's cell phone habits? I've mentioned this before. For the life of me, I don't know why in the world some people think that perfect strangers want to hear their personal phone calls as they walk the aisles of the stores...or wherever...in the bathroom stall next to you...talking away in voice loud enough to be heard 50 feet away! What is wrong with people??? OR... how about the person you are in a face-to-face conversation with constantly looking down at their phone?

5. What's your current summer anthem? "On the Road Again". We will be heading to Ohio in a couple of weeks for my family reunion. Later this summer, we plan to return to Tennessee to watch the kiddos for a week and hopefully will be able to sneak a beach weekend in before fall.

6.  Insert your own random thought here. If you like fresh lemonade but don't want all of the sugar, you might want to try this....oh, it's SO good! And it makes it taste more like fresh, old-time lemonade by cutting a slice of lemon and adding it to your glass. It only has 15 calories and 2 grams of sugar per 8 ounce glass. 




And while were on the subject of old-timey stuff, have you had any Cracker Jacks lately? I was in the Dollar Tree today and picked up a few boxes. I used to get SO excited when I was kid and Mom would come home from the store with some. Well, the Cracker Jacks might taste the same (although I'm sure the boxes were bigger and so were the kernels back in the day), but the so-called prizes inside leave A LOT to be desired...just look at this....a dumb little sticker of some kind. Where's the "diamond ring"?


So..... that does it for another Independence Day and another Hodgepodge.
Enjoy the rest of your week.😊

25 comments:

  1. YES to number 4. I don't know why people have to shout into their phones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a good 4th, Debby. The lemonade sounds and looks good, may need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated 4th, Debby! I had been at my mom's, in Ohio, last week, to celebrate her 88th birthday.
    Those hot dogs and burgers do look like a wreath! I must buy some of that light lemonade!! Thanks for sharing that!
    The picture you had made for Adam and your DIL turned out great. I love your new car!!! Your last one served you well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to show that grill to my hubs. He and your son are organization kindred spirits : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where's the diamond ring...hahahahaha...

    Well, I think that I'll say "what SHe said" for #3. Thanks for the tip on lemonade. I am always looking for good summertime beverages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are no words for that grill art. Thrills my little OCD heart. :)

    Also, your lemonade photo could be in a professional ad. You should share it with Minute Maid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so with you on all of your hot buttons! Especially the vitriol being spewed at the Trump. Disagree with the man by all means, but don't threaten to kill him or to blow up the White House or make yourself into a joke I just can't respect in the process.

    I didn't think it could be done, but your photos actually have me craving a hotdog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debby, you're the only one I know of who can make even something as mundane as a hotdog look absolutely irresistible! :-) That first flag photo is stunning, and I enjoyed all your Hodgepodge answers. I'll have to try that lemonade. Have safe travels on your summer road trips. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. All your pictures are gorgeous and your son's "organized grill" is pretty amazing. When I was growing up we always cooked hot dogs in the fireplace on Saturday nights all year round.

    Loved all your answers and #3 is especially well said. The flag picture at the top is amazing, as all of your photos always are. Wondering what's in that lemonade for sweetener. Did they just cut back on the sugar, or is there some other sweetener in there as well?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tip on the lemonade. I'll have to give it a try. I agree with you100% about our freedom as well. I'm very thankful for ours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am the same way with hotdogs. I get a yearning for them this time of year. I 'grill' mine in a snitch of butter in a cast iron pan..oh my goodness... Now I want one.

    Will try that lemonade, I haven't see it anywhere but haven't looked either. Great photos! Have a wonderful week, Debby. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. That food wreath is so neat! And, I so agree with you on the "hot button" issue. I may have to try the Lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the meat wreath. Now that is creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a wonderful celebration. I think the problem with phones is a worldwide problem, there is nothing worse when you are on public transport.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bad drivers definitely set me off! As well as when people take freedom for granted, though I'm guilty of doing it sometimes too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow your son has talent in making his grill such a work of art! As do you with the solo hotdog roast! There's that amazing photo again--good tip on the lemonade. I haven't had cracker jacks in years, but the prize--oh my. Kids today don't know what they're missing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that it a nice neat organized grill!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything looks so good. Makes me hungry for a hot dog and lemonade!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Debby, I enjoyed this read from beginning to end!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great post, Debby. And that photo of the grilled meat is brilliant, such a fun and clever idea.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your July 4th BBQ with your family looks and sounds like so much fun, with plenty of fabulous fired up fare and fireworks for eye candy! You are one resourceful lady, I must say, finding the perfect way to grill your hot dogs and satisfy your craving!

    Happy weekend, Debby!
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I used to love Cracker Jacks, too! My, I haven't had those in a long time! Thanks for the reminder!! Sending love and hugs and gratitude to you for your many prayers for Kristen!! God bless you, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The summer food wreath is delightful. There's nothing like grilled hot dogs and hamburgers. This one looks Yummy. I had hot dogs also for the fourth of July, but I forgot to buy relish. Gotta have the relish. ; ) I agree with you on number 4. That's one of the things that really bugs me.

    Happy July days, Debby.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always enjoy hearing your hodgepodge thoughts, you always share great memories! Love the fireworks story and I agree with you about the CrackerJacks, the prizes anymore just aren't as cool as they were when we were kids! I think your son Aaron had a really neat looking meat wreath! Wow! So fun to hear about your summer memories :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...