Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The Hodgepodge is falling! The Hodgepodge is falling!!

The weeks are flying by faster than ever it seems.
How can it be Wednesday again already?
And in another couple of days, fall officially arrives and I am ready!
But you knew that already, didn't you?
~
We are having another little warm spell, this week before it officially become fall.
It has been pleasant...in the low to mid 80s with big puffy clouds filling bright blue skies.
Little by little, the trees are beginning to show some color and according to the weather man,
 it's supposed to be a very pretty fall...I guess this depends on several factors...
the summer's amount of rain, drought, temperatures, etc.
We do hope to be able to find some time for a little drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway,
one of most favorite places in the country.



So if it's already Wednesday again, it also means it's Hodgepodge day...

...where Joyce asks the questions on her blog and we answer them on ours!
So here are the questions for this week...

1. What's something you'd rate a 10/10? Tell us why.

Wow...thinking of something right off the top of my head is not easy...whatever it is has to be pretty awesome to rate a 10 out of 10! So after doing some pondering, here is what has come to mind...and most of you will probably think I must be very strange. But I have to say that my brother's "home going" (I choose not to call it a funeral) service a few weeks ago was a "10" as far as that type of thing goes. My brother spent all of his adult life in South Carolina and although I knew him well, I found out so much about him at that service that I never knew before. The pastor and other friends who spoke had known him for 40+ year and told stories and gave testimonies of how he had touched their lives and many other's as well. Although we were all were dealing with the fact that we would no longer have him here on this earth, the spirit of this service was so very uplifting and it actually made it kind of difficult to be really sad, considering all of the circumstances. Does that make sense to anyone?

2. What job would you be terrible at? What makes you think so?


It would be a toss up between a teacher or a public speaker. Although I love children, I don't have the patience that the job would require...although I can remember some of the teachers from when I was in school and wondered to myself how and why they decided on that as a career! I think I mentioned a coupe of hodgepodges ago that just the thought of speaking in public makes my stomach hurt.

3. When did you last take a fall? What's something you're falling for (in a good way) these days?


The last time I remember taking a fall was the winter before last. I actually had two falls, just weeks apart. My first one came when I was gingerly trying to navigate the icy three brick steps that go down into the side door of the garage to get something out of the freezer. I fell hard and my butt hit the corner of those sharp steps and I could swear I saw a few stars! A few weeks later, for my next trick, I stepped down from the deck (three icy wooden steps) onto the brick patio, I lost my traction on the last one and fell, once again, hitting the exact same place that was just beginning to feel better. I was bruised and hurting for weeks. These days, I am falling in love with fall, as I do every year at this time, with the cooler temps and the falling leaves....



...and many of these are also falling. It won't be long now before the deer start gathering in the yard every evening for a midnight snack.


1. According to the Travel Channel here are some of America's best fall festivals-
National Apple Harvest Festival (near Arendtsville PA, close to Gettysburg), Harvest on the Harbor (Portland Maine), German Village Festival (Columbus Ohio), Wellfleet Oyster Fest (Cape Cod), and Wine and Chile Fiesta (Santa Fe NM)
Have you ever been to any of the festivals listed? Which one appeals to you most? Does your hometown have any sort of fall celebration, and if so will you make it a point to attend?


No, I have never been to any of the above and if I could choose one on the list, the Apple Harvest Festival in PA sounds like it would be right up my alley. We do not have a celebration in my town in the fall (we have the Dogwood Festival in the spring) but every fall we host a huge fall festival at our church as an outreach to the community. Every year more and more folks attend and last year we had over 450 I believe. My back is already aching just thinking about painting all of those little faces for 1 1/2 hours straight...oh me oh my!

5. What is your goodbye message to summer?

Buh-bye, summer...don't let the door hit you on your way out!

6. Insert your own random thought here.

Tasha says she's read for fall too...the crunchy leaves tickle her belly!



Have a good one!

22 comments:

  1. Ahhh. look at that fur baby. Yep - the leaves tickle my fur babies bellies too... & they get drug in the house all year long :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're ready to kick Summer out the door. I am always sad that Summer has to leave my part of the world and visit you. =) Your brother's homecoming service sounds as it was lovely. How wonderful to sit there and reflect upon his remarkable life, retold by others; amazing really. Those trees in the first photo look glorious with the different hues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about your brother, Debby. Tasha is adorable. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know just what you mean in your answer to #1. I am so sorry for the loss of your brother, Debby, but being in Christ, we are certainly not without hope. There is joy yet to come. Now about summer, I laughed at yet more evidence that northerners feel very different about summer than y'all do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Cranberry had similar ice falls. Ouch. And for you, twice. Like biting your tongue in the same place over and over. The slightly cooler temperature is a very welcome change and signal that fall is in the air. So ready this year. Enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A joy to visit and see your photos, beautiful signs of Autumn such a wonderful season. You have such a cute dog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally understand your answer to number 1. I had such similar feelings at my mother's service. A true celebration of their life so to speak. And when you KNOW they've entered their heavenly home, well it does take some of the sting out of it for sure. Oh how my hubby would love Sasha. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always, your photos are outstanding! Did you really capture that leaf falling like that? You're so good!! I understand about rating your brother's service as a 10, bittersweet though it was. I laughed at the Buh bye to summer. I feel the same way, but I'm still waiting, as it's going to be 97 degrees here today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing prettier than the Blue Ridge Parkway. Wish I could take a ride through there with you. I so wish the temps would get a little cooler here. But I will take the heat over a storm any day! Now to join you today with the hodgepodge.

    1. What's something you'd rate a 10/10? Tell us why.

    You answer Debby made perfect sense! I felt the same way at my motherinlove's homegoing too. My answer at the moment would have to be my fried cubed deer meat with onion gravy. LOL! Girl, I make the best gravy. I know that's a crazy answer but for some reason my learning how to make gravy from my granny has always been one of those things I ACED. Not many things I ACE so I would say it was a 10/10.

    2. A nurse. Though I have compassion I just don't think I would be cut out for all that. But I praise the Lord for those that are. Especially those that LOVE their jobs. When I am the nursing home visiting my mom and I see what all the CNA's has to deal with, a some are striving to become a nurse, I think to myself, "Lord, thank you for not calling me to this service!
    3. When did you last take a fall? What's something you're falling for (in a good way) these days?

    Oh this one is easy! About 3 weeks ago I went to get up out of the chair and some how got my big toe hung in the bottom of my pj pants, and here I went. All I could do was say, Lord, please don't let me hit my head! Instead I hit my side on a wall and I mean I hit it! I thought I had broke my hip for a few minutes. I still have a bruise (which was REALLY BAD for a while). BUT, I didn't hit my head! And I am falling for this new foundation I found at Walgreens! It's light, doesn't make this old wrinkled woman look like the makeup has been pack on and indented in those wrinkles and stays on all really well all day! I will have to get the name of it and send it to you Debby.

    1. According to the Travel Channel here are some of America's best fall festivals-
    National Apple Harvest Festival (near Arendtsville PA, close to Gettysburg), Harvest on the Harbor (Portland Maine), German Village Festival (Columbus Ohio), Wellfleet Oyster Fest (Cape Cod), and Wine and Chile Fiesta (Santa Fe NM)
    Have you ever been to any of the festivals listed? Which one appeals to you most? Does your hometown have any sort of fall celebration, and if so will you make it a point to attend?
    No i haven't but If I did it would be the apple festival. I would love that!

    5. What is your goodbye message to summer?

    I enjoyed you for the time, until you decided to get so stinking hot! But you have overstayed your welcome friend. See ya next year!

    6. Insert your own random thought here.
    I just read something that Charles Spurgeon said, A little faith will bring your soul to heaven; a great faith will bring heaven to your soul".

    Hugs and blessings to you Debby.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to take a drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway one day! I'm with you on being ready for Fall! We have similar weather this week, I believe, but the changing leaves and cool nights are sure signs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This reminds me to get a nice bucket of sand earlier than usual. Those first frosty days when there is that thin glaze...yikes! Your description made me hurt in sympathy! Yes, your brother's service makes good sense. It must have been wonderful to hear all the stories. He was a special person doing God's work on this earth. My goodness Tasha is so cute! She even looks like an autumn girl. 🍂

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Debby! How could you say such a mean thing to summer!?? LOL - I would say, "Fall and Winter GO AWAY - I don't want you here haha! As for a job I'd be terrible at, nurse. I faint at the sight of blood no matter who it belongs to! Well, enjoy YOUR fall weather haha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was such a delightful read, Debby! I so understand your thoughts in #1, I am so thankful for that blessed hope we have in Christ!
    I too am so ready for summer to go, our temps. were in the 90's today and will be high all week!
    Enjoyed my visit with you.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tasha is so sweet looking! And, what a precious answer for #1. Love the pic of the acorns too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fall is such a pretty time of year. I do hope you get to enjoy some of that beauty.I don't know how it is in your area, but where I live, the fall color lasts for a very short time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Indeed, it makes total sense. What a blessing to learn such good things about your brother, knowing that he is at home with the Lord. It must have been a heart-warming service!

    I am with you here. Good-bye, Summer! Hello, Fall!

    Love the acorn photo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always love your hodgepodge Debby, you put a lot of thought into your answers. I would have loved that kind of funeral too, full of hope, and thankfulness for their soul to rest with Jesus, and to leave feeling uplifted instead of downhearted and sorrowful. Your pictures of fall are always lovely. I hope the weatherman is right and that you get a gorgeous fall, I love seeing the pictures. Driving the parkway would be so amazing to see! Sure do love fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. jumped over to say hi, love your hodgepodge Love the fall pictures, I am so ready for our beautiful fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry hit the send button to fast :( I love the Blue Ridge Parkway had the pleasure of
      driving it in the fall of 1996. Here we have the Talimena Dr (Mena AR) hoping it is beautiful this year.

      Delete
  19. Hi Debby, I loved this hodgepodge and I agree that your answer to No. 1 made good sense. Your brother was a special man and you know you will see him again some day!
    Please be careful on that ice, maybe put some rock salt or sand on the steps this year? I fell on ice many years ago and broke my ankle real bad and it took years to walk good again, so I worry about ice every winter. I sure don't want you going through what I did. Your photo of Tasha is so good, she's such a cutie pie!
    Have a nice weekend and Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like the service for your brother was wonderful. So lovely that you heard some new and special stories to add to your memories.
    Yes, after 95 !!! degrees at one point yesterday I'm ready for summer to leave, too. xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Debby, Thanks for your visit this morning. This photo of Tasha melts my heart. I remember Harriet's little belly dragging in the leaves! Your brother's homegoing service sounds very sweet - those heartwarming stories of how he touched so many lives. Ouch on the 2 falls you took. Right before Harriet passed away, I quickly stood up to see about her, not realizing my foot was asleep, and broke my foot. Like you, I love Autumn. Your first photo of the mountains is gorgeous. I do hope we will have pretty leaf color this year. God bless your day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...