Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Springing Forward to the Hodgepodge

Are they kidding?
I mean, who does this, anyway??
Do you get up at 2 AM just to set your clocks forward...or back...which ever the case may be?
Does Daylight Savings Time bother you or it is just another Saturday night?
What did we even do before Daylight Savings Time came along in the first place?
We all got along just fine, didn't we?
I must admit that I would rather fall back, just because of having an extra hour in the day.
I say day because I never make the change at night...
...I still get as many hours of sleep, plus, I couldn't sleep that extra hour if I tried!
So in order to spring forward without getting all worked up over it,
I turn my clocks forward at least by early afternoon and it's pretty much like any other day.
How about you?
~
So, welcome back to Joyce and the Hodgepodge!


She asks us the questions and we answer them on our blogs.
Here's hoping you had a very enjoyable trip, Joyce!
A week without the Hodgepodge is like having a PB & J without the J.
Here are the questions...

1. Best place you've been lately?

Home, sweet home. That's where I want and need to be when I'm not feeling good. My last post will update you on the changes going on in my life if you want to check it out. Oh, I am feeling just fine now and I am so ready to GO somewhere! I've been thinking a lot lately about going here...


We actually have been talking about making a trip to the beach soon, before the rates and the crowds increase. After we move to Tennessee (whenever) we will be a day's drive (7-8 hours) away from the closest sea shore, Pensacola, Florida! We better get there while the getting is good!

2. What's something you should say yes to today? Or this week? Or even this year?

There are many things I'm sure I need to say yes to...every day...sticking to a healthy eating plan and getting more exercise comes to mind right away. But when I think of something I should say yes to on a much grander scale, it is always being able to say yes to the will of God and whatever He has in store. 

3. Do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day in any way, shape, or form? If so tell us how. In Western cultures the color green is typically associated with jealousy, nature, good luck, and growth. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word 'green'?


Although I do fancy shamrocks, corned beef and cabbage and the color green, I really don't celebrate St. Paddy's Day since I don't think I have an Irish bone in my body. You might find me wearing green but it may be a coincidence since I have always considered the color green, in one tone or another as a favorite of mine. I remember as a young girl getting a new emerald green dress one year for Christmas and I wanted to wear it every day. I have never been green with envy as I recall, I really don't believe in luck but I do have memories of searching for four-leaf clovers with my sisters when we were kids and getting so excited when we found one. Somewhere there is an old Bible with a few of them pressed between it's pages. Back then, I'm pretty sure I believed in "good luck" 'cause I didn't know any better. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word green is springtime. After months of drab, dull landscapes, I am so ready for spring's glorious return and am forever in awe of the wide array of the many different shades of green that it brings with it.

4. What's a product or service you love so much you'd happily be their spokesperson? Tell us what makes you such a fan.


I can hardly imagine myself being a spokesperson for any service or product but I will give a good review if asked. (Is that the same thing?) Has anyone heard of Pure Flix? It's like Netflix, only different. Pure Flix are movies and shows that are all Christian-based and/or inspirational. Many movies and series are new releases, some have been around a while. I subscribed to a free month just to check it out. So far we have only watched a couple of the movies but the first one we viewed, "Dead Man Rising", drew us in until the very end. I'm sure some are better than others, like anything else. We rarely go to the movies because truthfully, there are very few out there that we care to see. The price is comparable to Netflix and with the free trial, you have nothing to lose as long as you cancel within the 30 days. There...how was that being a "spokesperson"? 😊

5. March 14th is Pi Day. How are your math skills? What's the last thing you did that required math of any kind? And most importantly do you like pie? What's your favorite kind? With ice cream, whipped cream, or please hold the cream?


I'd say my math skills are sufficient for what I need them for...that's why God invented calculators. I have never been a math whiz and never wanted to be. The last thing I remember doing that required any math was just yesterday as I added up (using a calculator, of course) an itemized bill from the hospital. It was from a bill back in August from a procedure I had done and after many months of going back and forth with them, they say they have finally got the account right this time. It all started when my insurance company sent me a check (written out to me) for almost $5000 which was meant to go to my hospital account! I was told to void it and send it back and it took many months for them to re-issue the check AND for the hospital to receive it. What a MESS! Now, do I like pie? Probably my most favorite kind of dessert...a fruit pie...or well...maybe lemon meringue...or make that coconut cream. No, seriously, it's this right here...


...black raspberry, just like my mama used to make...served a bit warm with vanilla ice cream. I wish I had a dollar for every one I've made. Jim and Adam get one every year for their birthdays and other times throughout the year.


6.  Insert your own random thought here.

And since we're talking about spring...



 ...it's not every day that you get a pack of flower seeds in your box of Cheerios. It's part of a "Bring Back the Bees" campaign and I think it's a great idea! 


Enjoy the rest of your week!

22 comments:

  1. Good morning, Debby... I can't get that pic of the delicious pie out of my head!! I could for a piece with my coffee this morning. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here about the clock change. An outdated philosophy. They don't change where our son lives so that's an additional adjustment for calling etc. Silly, simply silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That black raspberry pie looks amazing! As for daylight saving time, I hate it. Changing back and forth is like a bit of jetlag. Enjoy your Cheerios sponsored cosmos. They're such a pretty flower. And a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Cheerios so might just have to go buy me a box to get the flower seeds. LOL! I set my clocks when I go to bed that Saturday night. NOPE ain't getting up at no 2 am to set a clock! I do that enough to pee! Ha!

    1. Best place you've been lately?
    I guess I'd have to say it was my birthday outing to Daytona and St. Augustine. It was a nice, relaxing getaway which I was able to do a little beach time as well as other things. I love the beach too! Our family beach vacation is end of July and I am looking forward to it.

    2. What's something you should say yes to today? Or this week? Or even this year?
    I've been working on saying NO for over a year now so...(Ha!)

    3. Do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day in any way, shape, or form? If so tell us how. In Western cultures the color green is typically associated with jealousy, nature, good luck, and growth. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word 'green'?
    I like to do a little tablescape but afraid it won't happen this year. St Patrick's day or Easter due to makeover in the kitchen. I love corn beef and cabbage but honestly, I don't make over St Patty's day. Maybe I need to just make me some green tea on Saturday while I am putting down baseboards. LOL!

    4. What's a product or service you love so much you'd happily be their spokesperson? Tell us what makes you such a fan.
    Foldgers Black Silk Coffee---Deep, dark flavor. There's several things I would highly speak on and one being Cetaphil products. With skin that is sensitive such as mine and dry, it's about the only thing I have used for years that I love.

    5. March 14th is Pi Day. How are your math skills? What's the last thing you did that required math of any kind? And most importantly do you like pie? What's your favorite kind? With ice cream, whipped cream, or please hold the cream?
    HATE math! Never have liked it. Praise the Lord for a calculator! And my fingers. Favorite pie would be pumpkin and I like with or without the whipped topping.

    6. Insert your own random thought here.
    My scripture for today: "And let us not be weary in well doing, for in due season we shall reap if we faint not". Galatians 6:9

    Hugs and blessings to you dear friend.
    Cindy


    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! At first I wondered why we hadn't gotten any seeds in our Honey Nut Cheerios, but then I remembered that Ron buys the generic brand at Sam's Club. :)

    I am happy to hear that you are feeling better now! Sounds like a great time to take that trip to the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your answer to #2 and I certainly should have said the same thing but I just drew a blank on that one. That pie is just beautiful, can't imagine my making that lattice top so perfectly. Have a wonderful day Debby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello dear Debby! I enjoyed your thoughtful answers to the hodgepodge today. Happy to hear you are feeling better. That first photo is calling to me. Well the first photo and that photo of the pie, too. That is a great campaign to bring back the bees!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My parents moved to Pensacola two years ago and I love it. They lived near-ish to Daytona before but P-Cola is way better, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your post today. This would be a great time to visit the beach, but I imagine the water is still cold for swimming. Hope you get to make the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! New here. I had never heard about Pure Flix. Will definitely be checking them out.
    That pie picture made me soooo hungry for pie now!
    Heading to your previous post to get updated about the changes in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Debby, a nice post to read, thank you.

    Here in the UK we change our clocks later in March...note to myself I must remember!!!
    Mmmmm that pie does look good.

    Take care, my good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. We change our clocks back Sunday morning.
    I WISH THEY WOULD LEAVE THE TIME ALONE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your beach picture makes me wish for warm sand! I remember as a child, my family never did anything special for St. Patrick's. I would get pinched on the school bus for neglecting to wear green! lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was fun! I’m thinking Tennessee is too far from the ocean. 🙃

    Had not heard of the other flix and might need to check it out.

    My grandson who used to love math now gives it this meaning: mental abuse to humans. What teacher dropped the ball I want to know.

    Glad that you are feeling better and better. 🌿🍀🌱🍃

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh....but I thought everyone stayed up till 2 a.m. and changed their clocks. =) Thank you for enlightening me. Love this bring back the bees to the garden initiative! How fun to receive a pack of Cosmos seeds in a box of cereal. You Americans are quite simply brilliant. Another fun post, lovely Debby. Hope you take that trip to the beach soon. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Daylight savings doesn't really affect me, but I wish they would leave it one way, Hope you are well on your way to good health.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think DST is just a nuisance in having to change the clocks (and I do it early, too!)
    Thanks for your endorsement of Pure Flix, Debby! Those seeds are a nice perk in the Cheerios box. Could I please have a slice of that black raspberry pie??? That would make me so happy. I made pizza for pie day.
    I'm so glad that you're feeling better, my friend. Things are looking up! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pure Flix is new to me. We don't have Netflex either, so I guess we either aren't TV buffs or terribly out of touch. Probably both. That pie looks like a blue ribbon winner to me. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The time change doesn't bother me...AZ stays on real time and doesn't change! I remember when we lived in OR and absolutely everything had to be switched and how difficult that was for my hubby's parents....they would call up one of the boys and invite them for Sunday dinner and ask them to make all the changes for them! I remember when they initiated the whole plan, and I think it had something to do with farmers and farm workers...don't think it's very relevant anymore.

    I'm not a math whiz, but I do use it quite often in sewing. I'm glad I did learn it way back in the "dark ages!"

    Warm hugs, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely post, my friend :) And like you, I am no math whiz. Oh, just the thought of numbers makes me cringe!

    Thinking of you, lovely lady, and wishing you a beautiful weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so late reading this but enjoyed it anyway! I hope you get to the beach soon. I didn't think the time change bothered me at all, but I just thought about the fact that I've been yawning more than normal this week. Have a good weekend,

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't care for the time change at all! It seems that this year I have been bothered by it the worst. Perhaps it was because we were in Texas when the time change took place, I don't know. I'm enjoying the longer days though! Glad you are feeling better! It is sure no fun being sick! I always enjoy your hodgepodge, and loved your picture of the beach! I hope you get to soak up lots of wonderful warm sunshine soon :) Hugs to you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...