Friday, September 14, 2018

When I'm Sixty-Four


When I get older, losing my hair
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me a Valentine?
Birthday greetings bottle of wine?
If I'd been out 'till quarter to three
Would you lock the door?
Will you still need me
Will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four?

And most of you remember...it goes on and on.
When the Beatles sang this song back in 1967 I was in the 7th grade.
As I ponder that now, I remember thinking that it was so far in the future and almost unimaginable,
assuming that I would one day be sixty-four years old...I mean that's ancient, right?
Oh...the thoughts we think when we're young and foolish....

Oh...the thoughts we think when we're old and foolish.
Did I just call myself...O-L-D??

Recently, I had too much spare time on my hands (and I wonder why am not getting things done!)
and I found myself playing around with some of those crazy apps on Facebook...
...you know, the ones that show you what you might look like as someone else.
So the "curious-as-a-cat" part of me clicked on a few of them but never shared them on my page...
...I was merely trying to entertain myself!
But just for fun, I saved the photos.


This one is my rock star alter ego coming out. 
And many times during my life, I have dreamed of being a red head.
A few years back I told myself if I lost 50 pounds, I'd go red.
I never did so I never did.


Yes? No?



Or how about me on the cover of a magazine...AARP maybe??
These days, the crazy features on our phones let us be anything we want!



A leopardess...


...an alien from outer space...


...a....rabbit??
These don't really look like bunny ears to me...


Carmen Miranda?


I have no idea who this is....somebody named Flo, maybe.

So tomorrow I turn the big SIX-FOUR.
In a year I get that lovely red, white and blue card to carry in my wallet 'til the day I die. 

Four years ago "Sixty is the new Forty" was my mantra.
So what will it be as I turn sixty four...or seventy-two...or eighty-nine...
...or if I am blessed to live as long as my mom, ninety-seven? 

 Seriously, y'all know this is just my feeble attempt to be funny.
I have never had a desire to be anything or anybody other than who I am.
Well, maybe the red head. 😉

At this stage in my life all that matters is living my life how God would have me live it,
admitting that I fail Him miserably in one way or another on a daily basis.
But He gives me grace to go on and His mercies are new every day!

The song in the video below is my mantra for as long as I have breath in my body.


So I think I'll just stick to what I know really matters.
I'm a child of God...YES I AM...


...a sixty-four (and counting) year old child of God.
 

26 comments:

  1. Yes you are! Happiest of birthdays to you. May God bless you and keep you and make his face to shine upon you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Debby! What a fun post! You know, I had red hair at one time in my life, but it was a reddish brown, and I wore it that way for awhile. Wishing you a wonderful day filled with all the things you love. And it's never too late to be a redhead. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love to visit your lovely and more often than not, funny place, my sweet friend. The last photo of you is beautiful. I rather love you as a red head, but deary me the one of as an alien is a tad spooky....and as for those rabbit ears, they rather look more porcine to me. Wishing you the happiest 64th birthday, lovely Debby. One year to go but whose counting......?? Love that song by the way.♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Debby! You make sixty-four look wonderful! I'm a couple of years behind you and catching up quickly. Those crazy apps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, 64's not too bad an age (looking back at from 70). I thought the rabbit ears looked like mouse ears but what would I know? :) Enjoy your day, and your 60's. A fun post.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, such a fun post. Beautiful song.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Debby! And you should try going red. I have before and it is actually the best color on me. But...it fades and I'm not much for upkeep. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, happy birthday, sweet friend! These pictures were so funny, but the one you look most beautiful is the one of the real you!! You are aging very gracefully and beautiful on the inside and out. May the Lord bless you to live at least as long as your dear Mom or even longer!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday from a new friend. I think you look beautiful; I can't even remember being 64 since I'm now 76! I love the Lord also, and count my blessings every day.

    My hair was reddish at one time, but it didn't last long. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday and I say enjoy whatever age you are. I'll be 72 in a week or so and I'm grateful for every day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes it's hard to believe we've reached that song's age (and me awhile ago). You look cute as a red head but your last picture is simply beautiful! Here's wishing you a wonderful year ahead filled with many good things and the ongoing grace and mercy of our Lord -- and many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those numbers are just that, numbers. I am knocking at the door of 70 and often have to remind myself that I am no longer 25.Oh my body reminds me, but my mind refuses to go there.So enjoy each day and make the best of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy, happy birthday to you! I posted that song on my blog also when I reached 64. Now I am 69 and feel the same, but yikes! 70! I love your pic with the long red hair and the red polish. Very pretty. Now, those other pics are really fun and made me smile. Again, happy birthday and I love the song you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday to you, you beautiful child of God!!! I loved seeing all the fun faces of Debby, and did love you as a red head, but loved your own sweet you the best! I hope you have a fabulous day! 🎂🎁🎈

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday, Debby! You are adorable no matter the years or the faces. Thank goodness you went with more than three. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday Debby!!! I love all the pictures...we are only as old as we act!!! I hope you have a fabulous 64th year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I remember that song very well and couldn't even imagine myself at 64. I've passed it up 3 years ago already.
    Your alien picture had me laughing!!!!
    Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday, Debby! I think you would look great as a redhead!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are beautiful dear friend. Happy birthday again to you. I hope it was wonderful to you. Girl, I am loving all the pictures. Made my morning. Oh I did go red once for about a year and I loved it! YES I DID. But needless to say Marty wanted me back to his "little wife Cindy" as he called it. Good thing he added the word LITTLE! LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Boy am I behind !! I was going to comment days ago and somehow fell off the wagon and never made it back to this awesome, awesome Birthday posting!
    You are DARLING in every single photo! I think you would look gorgeous in red even if you never lost those 50 pounds. But...my very favorite photo is the one at the ending, you are lovely. :}
    I sure hope that you had a fabulous Birthday!

    Enjoy your day ~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy birthday wishes to you.

    I enjoyed seeing all the pictures especially the last one.

    My good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy belated birthday!!! I hope you had an amazing day!! These pictures are awesome, the alien one had me chuckling :-) Hope your week is off to a great start!!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post! And Happy Birthday to you, from a 58-year-old who can't quite believe she's 58...already!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Debby, I can't stop giggling right now! I simply LOVE all of the pictures you shared. You are so beautiful, my friend, and I hope I look as amazing as you when I am 64. You are a sweet and precious lady.

    Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy, Happy Birthday! I think you’re beautiful as just you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh what a fun post! Yes, back in the day, that seemed so old!! Right behind ya, sista!! I do like the red hair, how fun would that be?? Happy belated birthday to you. Hope you are well, and I haven't missed anything important, maybe I should scroll back a few posts and check . . . xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...