Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

Happy Day After the Day After Labor Day!
 
September is here, at last...
...now let's just hope the weather will take the hint!
We have been experiencing the most humid and muggy weather of the season here.
As usual, I am MORE than ready for cooler weather and fall leaves!


And that's not all.


I look forward to eating some of these every fall.
I actually saw them on the shelves a month ago...nothing like rushing the season.
~
So once more for old time's sake, here are the questions for this last Hodgepodge.
I, for one, am going to miss it but, Joyce, I totally understand!
Thank you for everything you have put into the Hodgepodge over the years,
 and creating such a fun way to share our lives and connect to new friends as well!

 
1. What has been the highlight of your summer so far? (It's still summer people!)

Our visit to the Cass Scenic Railroad in West Virginia in June was most definitely the highlight so far. I think about the experience often and would love to return one day. I highly recommend visiting there if you happen to live anywhere close...or whether you don't!
 


2. What do you wish you'd done more of this summer? Less of?

More of getting projects done, less of not getting projects done. 😏

3. Something you're looking forward to on your September calendar?

Although I am not really all that crazy about getting another year older, I will be doing just that on the 15th. In all seriousness though, I am very thankful to the Lord for every day and every year that He sees fit to let me breathe the air. I have scheduled a week off work that will include my birthday...a working week, I might add. No fun vacations, but dedicating most of the time to my #2 answer. Wish me luck!

4. Best/favorite book you've read this summer?



It took me a while, but I finally got through it. This book is big and thick...and packed with so much history about the country during the time (and before) the Ingalls Family were pioneering their way across the country and finally settling, again and again. Much of the book was about the relationship between Laura and her daughter, Rose Wilder Lane, who was a best selling author in her own right. Their relationship was quite tempestuous, to say the least and I must say a little surprising to me. Some of it made my heart sink a bit. Although "Little House on the Prairie" had always been (and still is) one of my favorite shows, I had never read any of the books! Well, maybe you can guess what I'm currently reading. Better late than never, I always say!

5. Share something positive, encouraging, or uplifting here.



When a butterfly lands on your hand, how could it not be positive, encouraging AND uplifting?

6. Insert your own random thought here.

Joyce, once again I thank you for the Hodgepodge. I will be looking forward to any little surprises you may decide to toss our way!
 
So until next time, enjoy what's left of the first week of September!
 

25 comments:

  1. Special K Pumpkin Spice Crunch, are you kidding? Oh, I have to get some now! I love anything pumpkin this time of year. The train picture is delightful, Debby. I think I would enjoy this book, Prairie Fires, as we've been having lots of wild fires in California. The picture of the butterfly is so lovely, and the first picture of Autumn is beautiful. Looking forward to my favorite season of all!

    Happy September!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I shall certainly miss Wednesdays because so many of the Hodge Podgers only post on that day. It’s been a way to keep up with you. Hope, like you, that Joyce will come up with some fun going forward. Perhaps not every week, but from time to time. I do wish you well on that week...are you packing? Doing projects? Hope that you have one fun day planned. Life is too short to work every day of birthday week. 🌻

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm another one who will miss the Hodgepodge. Enjoyed reading yours this week. How fun to have that beautiful butterfly land and pause. Should I wish you happy project undertaking! Happiest of birthdays to you...early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness! That Fall photo is so beautiful. We took a train trip through the Smoky Mountains and I am wondering if it was that one. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It's hard to believe you never read one of her books. I'm wondering whether I need to read this book since I read all the Little House books. I loved them and re-read them when our daughter read them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, love the butterfly on your hand!
    Thanks for mentioning the railroad. We were in WV a short time this summer but did not do that.

    I will miss the Hodgepodge as well.

    God bless your day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous photography you do, Debby! I know you've enjoyed the Hodgepodge, and I always enjoyed reading your answers. I hope you have a birthday week filled with joy and projects getting done, but also a bit of fun sprinkled in, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope to see that cereal on the shelves here! There is something very special in the moment a butterfly lands on you...
    Have a lovely rest of your week.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Railroad ride looks like such fun with such beauty. I seem to always have a project needing my attention and good luck with yours. Enjoy your birthday month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We really enjoyed our ride on that train too.
    How cool to have a butterfly land on your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will miss reading yours and Cranberry's hodgepodges. Yes isn't it oppressively hot? Maybe we've just had enough. I can't wait for a cool turn in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh,I am so ready for fall. There is a cooler feel in our air today, but I don';t think it will last.I will enjoy it while we have it. Leaves are beginning to change color here and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Taking a week off to work on projects sounds like a great idea. I'm regretting (sort of) not getting more done during the summer, too, but I did have a good vacation. I hope you get some cooler weather soon. Ours is chilly in the mornings and at night, and warm and sunny during the day. Almost perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy (almost) birthday, Debby!! As my family says, a week off is a week off, no matter what you end up doing. Accomplishing projects is quite satisfying. Hope you get lots done!

    (My new laptop came today and I am back in business!!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your posts are always a joy to read, my friend, and I always love to see your beautiful photos.

    How I would love to send you some cool weather. It got up to only 67-degrees today and right now it's downright chilly. I could go for a nice cozy fire this evening. I made some apple butter today and oh, how it made the house smell like autumn.

    I hope you have a beautiful birthday, dear Debby. You are such a precious lady and I am very thankful for you. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Debby!! I love train rides so I know I would love that West Virginia trip. I hope that you have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debby, I've only ever been to West Virginia once, en route from Michigan to Williamsburg, Virginia. It was absolutely gorgeous! Would love to take that train ride.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Does your country-side already look like that first photo? If so, I am truly jealous! We haven't actually cooled down very much, but anything below 105 is considered a cool-down. What can I say...once temps drop below 100, sweaters and scarves come out! We are in the low 20's for humidity, so that's not bad either; and really, the sun just feels less intense. I'm so glad you and hubby did that train ride....looked really fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am visiting your blog from 'Lavender Dreams'. I love W. Va. and would love to take that train ride. Also I love the Lord also, so we already have something in common! Hope the remainder of your week is blessed. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Debby, that railway trip would be a highlight for me too. Looks like SO much fun and such a scenic route. I hope you get your projects done. I've been very lax lately about projects. Finally this afternoon I did a very thorough vacuuming/dusting of the entire downstairs. Now it feels like we should have company or something. LOL Enjoy fall. I hope it's as beautiful there today as it is here. We've come out of the incessant rain/humidity and have a gorgeous, bright, sunny day. Hope to be stopping in again. Wish someone would pick up the Hodgepodge baton.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday! I'm so ready for cooler temperatures! :-) Beautiful butterfly picture!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy, happy birthday, sweet friend! Our birthdays must be a short distance apart! Mine was on September 3rd (Labor Day ~ I always tell people that my Mom went into labor on that date! Ha!) I hope you have your happiest birthday ever! Sending love and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday sweet lady! And I've always loved the hodgepodge every week. I've ridden on the train in CO several times and it was great fun! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well...HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!
    A week off to do more projects, sounds like a plan in waiting.
    My husband and I have talked about taking a train ride in the Fall on a train near us, but we just never seem to get there. Who knows, maybe this year?

    That butterfly is absolutely gorgeous! I love that blue color.
    At the end of our spring we had these tiny butterflies with a gold coloring that I have never seen before and they were magnificent when the sun hit them. I have seen gold butterflies, but not this gold.

    Enjoy your week off and have a blessed Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I will miss your Hodge Podge, Debby. I always enjoyed finding out a little more about you each time and your often witty answers made me smile. Terrific photo of the bendy train and that beautiful blue butterfly....just gorgeous. Lastly may I wish you the happiest of birthdays to you, lovely Debby. Enjoy a beautiful day.♥

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Cass Scenic Railroad is on my "To Do" list! Looks like such a beautiful place and thing to do. The summer as usual flew by but I feel like we did enjoy a lot of things. We didn't get to as many of the free outdoor concerts as usual but we hit up a few.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...