Wednesday, February 27, 2019

A Strawberry Flavored Medley

Welcome to the last week of February.....really??
~
So it finally stopped raining...
...these flowers sure have helped brighten up things around here this past week.


Like so many other areas, we've had enough rain here to last us for a very long time.


The sun finally came out on Sunday afternoon and the last couple of days have been lovely!
Even I, the lover of rainy days, was getting my fill.


I guess I better soak up all the sunshine I can since more is on the way.
~
As you may remember, I underwent my third biopsy last week.
This time, I had the report in just two days and the results were very encouraging.
The doctor who did my procedure said she didn't think it looked like cancer, but inflammation,
and the report below came from the cytologist who tested the samples.


Of course were very relieved to get these result, still being a bit cautiously optimistic.
Dr. Allen still believes this is most likely a malignancy, not wanting to give false hope.
He also told us that he wants to be proven wrong.
And if you are relying on statistics, it is the most probable diagnosis.

BUT...my God is bigger and smarter than statistics!
.
One more biopsy (a different approach this time) will be scheduled very soon.
If this one doesn't prove cancer, I will likely begin a short course of steroids.
If the "tumor" shrinks with the steroids, then inflammation will be proven as well.
Autoimmune pancreatitis is when your body, for reasons unknown, attack it's own pancreas.
It's quite rare and often disguises itself as a malignant tumor, appearing as such on CT and MRI.
It is also very difficult to diagnose...thus the many biopsies.
So I say biopsy the heck out of me...as long as they don't miss any cancer!


I saw this meme on Facebook and immediately related it to what's going on in my life. 
In order for the Lord to give us the desires of our heart, we need to be willing to wait on them.

Therefore the LORD waits to be gracious to you,and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you.
For the LORD is a God of justice; blessed are all those who wait for him.
Isaiah 30:18
~
So I was all prepared to put out a plea to help our dear friend, Diane of Lavender Dreams.
Most of you already know that her lovely blog was removed for reasons unknown...
...but the good news is SHE GOT IT BACK, praise the Lord!
It's quite a mystery as to why this happened but the important thing is that she has her blog back!
I had not backed up my blog since I've been blogging...nearly six years.
Well, guess who's blog is all backed up now??


So today on the Wednesday Medley, Terri tells us that it is...
NATIONAL STRAWBERRY DAY

Hop on over to the Medley, copy and paste her questions to your own blog, 
plug in your answers, and link up!
You just might find out something you didn't know before. ๐Ÿ˜‰

NATIONAL STRAWBERRY DAY - February 27

Terri writes...

We continue with February’s heart-shaped and red theme by observing National Strawberry Day on February 27. These juicy, sweet berries can brighten up any dish and are delicious all on their own.
There are a few different stories behind the origin of the name. The more widely accepted version is that the berries would drop off the leaves and become “strewn” about the plant. Overtime “strewn-berries” became “strawberries”. There was a time (and some gardeners still do this today) when strawberry beds were mulched with straw, insulating the plants over the winter, keeping weeds at bay during the growing season and making them easier to harvest. Another sweet story tells of English children stringing the berries on grass straws and selling the “straw berries” in their neighborhoods.
Not only are they delicious, but they are also fragrant. One of the more aromatic fruits, they belong to the rose family.
Strawberries are grown in nearly every corner of the Earth (if the Earth had corners) except for her most frozen southern and northern reaches. Along with all these possible locations, there are over 600 varieties of strawberries as well.
An excellent source of Vitamin C, strawberries are also a good source of folic acid, potassium and fiber. At 55 calories and zero fat in 1 cup, these sweet things hit the spot when a snack time is calling!
HOW TO OBSERVE
While the best season for strawberries is from late April to August, now might be a good time to scout out strawberry festivals and pick-your-own farms or plan to plant your own strawberry patch. Imagine sitting in your very own patch eating sun-warmed, sweet berries you picked or even grew yourself under clear blue skies.
BERRY PICKING TIPS:
  • Pick fully ripe berries. Strawberries don’t continue to ripen if picked too early like bananas or pears.
  • Don’t overfill your container. Berries are tender and can bruise easily.
  • Don’t wash the fruit until you are ready to eat. Strawberries are susceptible to mold and washing will speed up spoilage.
  • The best time to pick strawberries is on cool, cloudy days, but if they will be eaten right away, any time is perfect!
  • If you pick more than you can eat before they spoil, strawberries freeze very well. Pluck off the green caps and toss into a freezer bag. Use for smoothies, ice cream or cake toppings.
HISTORY
Within our research, we were unable to identify the creator of National Strawberry Day. It is listed as an American Food Holiday.

1.  Given all that information on this ๐Ÿ“National Strawberry Day๐Ÿ“, do you have a favorite recipe for strawberries?  Would you share it with us?

Who needs a recipe? I like mine just like this...  

 
...that's a real humdinger, isn't it? Or how about this one? 


No real recipe here...if I remember correctly, this was my red, white and blue dessert last July 4th.


Again, no recipe needed...
...but since you asked for one...

Strawberry-Pretzel Salad
(click here for recipe)
2.  Some people think the smaller, northern varieties are sweeter than the larger berries that grow in the south and in California.  What are your thoughts on that?
I agree, the strawberries that you buy in the stores usually don't even compare to the locally grown ones. "Bigger is better" is usually not the case when it comes to strawberries. Every now and then you can get lucky but if they look white inside, you can pretty much count on them tasting like mushy cardboard... no thank you.
3.  There is a Strawberry Festival right here in Plant City, Florida (next town over from Lakeland) and it is a huge event that lasts 11 days with headliner acts each day.  Have you ever been to a Strawberry Festival?
There are many cities who have their own brand of Strawberry Festivals, one being in a town close to where I grew up in Troy, Ohio. I know it lasts for several days but I don't have any memories of attending it. My sister still lives there and I'm pretty sure she has been to a few of them over the years.
4.  Strawberries are grown in every US state.  Have you ever grown them in your garden?
I have never attempted to grow them in a garden of my own but I'd like to give it a try one day.
5.  Strawberry is the only fruit that has seeds on the outside, and technically it is not a berry but rather a fruit, and would you be surprised to learn that strawberries belong to the rose family?  Do you have any strawberry trivia to share with us?
Well, it seems I learn something new every day...I did not know that the strawberry belonged to the rose family! Did you know that folklore states that if you split a double strawberry in half and share it with the opposite sex, you'll soon fall in love? I didn't either...thanks, Google! ๐Ÿ˜‰
6.  Tell us something random about your week!!


I am looking forward to getting into this book that I received in the mail yesterday. My pastor's wife will be leading a ladies small group starting this Sunday afternoon and this is the subject of our study. I took one look at the title and knew I was all in. Did I ever tell you that I don't believe in coincidences?

I know I keep saying this but I'll say it again...
thank you SO MUCH for your prayers!

Much love,

37 comments:

  1. ☺️ Praise God! Leave it to you to be one of the unusual ones. Just keep right on being “weird” because your doctor is going to require tons of proof. God bless him. No, really. I am right there with you in trusting that he is doing what he knows best,

    Strawberries are in the market here at reasonable prices for a change. Not tempted. They are awful. Must wait for late June for fresh, local strawberries and they’ll be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the biggies you had pictures of. A strawberry, no matter how sweet can be salvaged with a tsp or two of sugar! I eat a lot of strawberries! Must try the pretzel recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debby- I am certainly praying for a diagnosis of inflammation rather than cancer. That would be the best possible news-although not a fun diagnosis-still a better one than originally thought.

    Love strawberries. There are strawberry farms here that have GREAT strawberries-nothing like the tasteless ones you get at the grocers. My favorite were the small wild ones that we picked in the farm fields as kids. Nothing like them!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your news is encouraging, Debby. It's a good thing your doctor wants to keep on with tests just to make sure. Sounds like you are in good hands, including the Lord's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing your test results. And I agree...get all those tests done and make sure they have the diagnosis right! You want to do what you have to do to be healthy again. And thank you SO much for standing by me this past week. I'm happy to be blogging again at lavender dreams too and have a thankful Thursday post ready for tomorrow. I'm so thankful for my blessings and I know you are too. And we have Florida Strawberries in season right now so that's really nice too! Sweet hugs, your blog buddy Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the flower pics at the beginning of the post. The Pricilla Shirer book looks good, I may have to look into this for our next Bible Study for our Women's Ministry. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are in such good, capable hands with your wonderful doctor, Debby!! He us so thorough and you can trust his judgment. We will all keep praying for you, my friend.
    Thanks for all the tidbits on strawberries. I eat some every morning, along with blackberries and raspberries.
    Thanks, too, for the great info on Diane getting her blog back. I need to find out how to back mine up.
    I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week. ๐Ÿ˜˜

    ReplyDelete
  8. No coincidences with God's kids! I love Priscilla Shirer! She is amazing as is her Dad and all her family! I rejoice with you over your good and hopeful news! Praying the next biopsy will clear up any misunderstandings about that tumor and that it will NOT be cancerous! Beautiful pics you posted. Those flowers! Wow! So cheerful. We have had loads of rain also. God bless and thankful you have a doctor who takes every precaution. BUT, our God is bigger, our God is greater, and nothing, absolutely nothing, is impossible with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, we will continue to trust that whatever is going on in your body is only inflammation or even something else easier to treat. It does sound like your doctors are covering all bases and that is a blessing. We also know that God leaves nothing to chance and is also "covering all bases" where our faith is concerned. Blessings on you, my friend as you continue to draw strength and healing from the Great Physician.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you've got the best doctors, and I hope and pray the next biopsy proves it is only inflammation. Been thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet friend, praise the Lord about your test results! Oh Debby, I am so happy for you. Please know that you will remain in my prayers.

    I must tell you that you now have me craving strawberries after seeing all of the lovely strawberry desserts :)

    I hope you dry out soon. My poor husband flew to Oregon on Sunday and he landed himself right in the middle of the storm. Sunday night the town lost power and it was not restored until 11:00 on Monday night. The class he was supposed to attend for the week was cancelled so he was simply stuck in another state. Thankfully he is hoping to fly out today...we are praying he can get to the airport. It's been beautiful and warm here in the mountains, but there is a storm coming tomorrow night. I'm ready for spring and summer! {{smiles}}

    Hugs and love to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You remain in my prayers as you go through another biopsy. Better to be safe than sorry. Praying for strength and patience as you go through this ordeal...you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praise the Lord for the news you received and I pray that the future biopsy will not point to cancer, either. That sounds like a great study for sure. Glad you are getting some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It must be so hard having all these tests and waiting for results. I hope the final one will be ok too and you can start having treatment. Those were BIG strawberries in your pics. Thanks for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praising God with you that so far the results are good. I’m trusting that they will all be good and you can prceeed to get the treatment you need for this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is encouraging news, Debby. I love the quote, "a delay is not a denial," and I appreciate that today so much in my own life. Oh my gosh, these strawberry desserts look amazing. And some good berry tips, thank you. I hope the next test turns out good, and I will continue saying a prayer for you, my friend. Keep your everlasting faith and hope. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! That berry! Crazy huge!!! Those flowers in the beginning are lovely - I cannot wait for Spring! Have a wonderful evening! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  18. That strawberry that is as big as a lemon - YIKES!! And thanks for reminding me of the strawberry and pretzel dessert. I've had it before and it was delicious. Hope you get continued good news on the medical front :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Prayers continue, Debby! Do please keep us posted. Thanks for joining the Medley today! I have had that strawberry pretzel salad before and it is really good!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like strawberries just the way they are too.
    I love Priscilla Shirer. She is a wonderful speaker. She has been to speak at my church. Enjoy your book, I can only imagine it is wonderful. The Bible study will be too!
    Praying for you as always and so loving the results you are getting. I am believing it is not cancer. God is a BIG GOD! Loved your answers! Have a nice week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Finally catching up on some blog reading...so I haven't know about your biopsy journey. Sounds like you are in good hands in the medical world, but we KNOW you are in the best hands in the spiritual realm! Believing for every blessing, and especially NO CANCER to be found! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh so wonderful that you are continuing to get only GOOD results from your biopsies, and we will continue to pray that the ultimate answer will continue to be, "NO SIGN OF CANCER!" God is good. Love the book you've ordered...I haven't read it, but I am sure it is going to be great. Priscilla S. is excellent. I love strawberries, especially now during their peak time here in Florida. I may have to go get some today.... Have a blessed and beautiful day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Continued prayers for you, Debby. All the biopsies and all the waiting and wondering. It's got to be frazzling! (is that a word??) but I am glad to hear that the results have been encouraging. God bless you, friend, and we will all continue to pray in faith and hope. xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Rejoicing with you at the encouraging news! Continuing to pray for direction and wisdom and that you will find comfort in the fact that God knows! (It's so hard when we don't!)

    Oh, those strawberries are giving me another reason to look forward to spring. I can taste them now . . .

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is encouraging news. Will continue to pray. Looking forward to more good news after the next biopsies. What is it about the pancreas? Have heard of so many problems people are having lately. I think we are getting more rain and cold weather. Crazy! But I think we say that every spring about the weather. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Praise Him who heals you, Debby! Waiting for more good news :) I don't believe in coincidences either.
    And thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Debby! So thankful for the continued good news and will continue to believe that it will be negative news! We will continue praying and believing! Now those were some big strawberries in your pictures! Terri asked a question whether Northern strawberries were sweeter than Southern ones and I have to say yes. I've lived in both the North and the South and definitely I found the northern ones to be much sweeter, not sure why. I've grown strawberries in my garden now for years and they are one of my favorite things to grow here in Idaho! They don't get very big but they are super super sweet! I will have to try that strawberry pretzel salad, it looks amazing! I hope you continue to have a great and marvelous week and we will continue praying and believing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, Debby, I am so happy with that result...I don't think I ever comment on your post last week, but I have still held you in my prayers. And yes, God is bigger than all. Have I told you about my brother. He had a brain tumor, in 2004. It was malignant. He was given 6 months to a year to live. He is alive and doing well today...he is 73 years old, raises a big garden every year, has a trapline line in winter...he had to go for check-ups for years, at first ever 3 months, then went to twice a year, then yearly. They would do scan to make sure it wasn't coming back. He doesn't HAVE to go now, but they go anyway, just to keep in touch with the doctor. The doctor calls him a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  29. God bless so far all of the biopsies have come back with good results. I will continue to pray the results keep coming back with good news! I love that strawberry jello..I can’t stop eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, Debby, it is still sounding so encouraging for you and I rejoice with you and will continue praying for you. We might have to nickname you "the biopsy queen." Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your flowers are so beautiful! SO very thankful that your news is continuing to sound so good. God is working and answering the many prayers that are going up on your behalf! What He has done, He will continue to do. He is ever faithful. Continuing to pray for you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  32. We had sun for 3 days in a row!! So nice, but now we are back to a week of snow and ice.
    Beautiful flowers.
    Happy to hear that encouraging health news. Our God is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Glad to hear your news and see your wonderful flowers! I am very much looking forward to strawberry season.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Enjoy the book I'm sure it will be a perfect read. Glad to hear the biopsy results are sounding positive.
    Here's a hug from Bangkok!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  35. So glad it is not cancer! I've been praying for you. Love all the pictures of the flowers so pretty! :-) I'm not even sure I know how to back up my blog.... but I certainly don't want to lose all my precious memories! She has a lovely blog too, I'm so glad she got it back. Enjoy your Sunday!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  36. Missed seeing you this week...can't remember what the meme was about this week without your post. Ha! Love to you...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Praying catch up dear friend on the blogs. Slow...but sure. LOL! I just reading those words from the results....LOVE...Makes me cry with joy every time I think about it. I have not read that book either but I do love me some Priscilla Shirer and have taught almost every one of her Bible Studies. We having a Priscilla Shirer simulcast in April. I can't wait for her to come out with a new study. Let me know how you like the book. Hugs and blessings to you dear friend.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...