Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Bees, Butterflies and Milkweed Blossoms

When I was a little girl, I remember being excited about finding milkweed pods in the fall.
I remember thinking that it must have been where Elmer's Glue came from...lol!


I mean, the milk inside looks and feels just like Elmer's, right?
I also really liked the fly-away thingys inside and generally just thought they were really cool.
~
What I didn't know until I was exploring and snapping some weed pics,
was that in the summer they have gorgeous blooms!



How did I not know this until last year??
I guess that's what happens when you start a blog...
...on one of my many treks driving about in the country, I discovered them.
~
These photos were taken last summer and I just recently came across them in my files.
I had intended to use them in a post but they seem to have gotten misplaced until now.
I guess I should do a better job of keeping my photos organized, huh?


Anyway, when you look at these lovelies...what do you see?
Is it possible that molars (teeth) come to mind?
Maybe even teeth with cavities...I mean, am I the only one that's seeing this?
Anyone???


Well, whether you see teeth or not, I am totally enthralled by these gorgeous blooms.


Where ever you find milkweed in bloom, bees and butterflies are almost certain to be present.



The bees were so busy drinking up nectar, they didn't seem to mind me being so close.


Neither did the butterflies.



I'm glad to know that I am never too old to learn new things, aren't you?
~
Have a great Hump Day, friends :)






23 comments:

  1. Beautiful blooms, dear friend! I think those are the same flowers we have in the mountains, but I have no idea what they're called - they certainly are lovely :)

    Have an amazing day, sweet Debby Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess my life has been too busy. I haven't stopped to smell the roses enough. I have never seen or heard of these. They are beautiful and yes, they took look like a set of teeth. Funny! I think I would have seen that even if you had not pointed it out. I need to get out more! Thanks for sharing the beauty of God's creation in such a magnificent way. Your photos as always are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I'm seeing teeth!! Fascinating! :D

    Gorgeous photography...of course! Love seeing the bees and butterflies up close!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your milkweed variety is closer to ours in texas - we have antelope horn white 'blooms' instead of the pink ones i'm used to up north. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a couple of years since I have seen a monarch butterfly. So much of the milkweed has been destroyed through spraying and mowing of ditches, and it is a necessary part of the monarch's life. Thank you for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't believe I've ever seen milkweed. The blooms are very unique and just like teeth! This is gross, but when I was a kid and lost a tooth, I would "save" it in my jewelry box for a time! (why, I don't know - but - your photos brought this to mind!) Hope your day is filled with blessings. I adore your photos of the bees and butterflies, also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your close up pictures. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That brought back memories...and they smell sweet, too, don't they? My mother used to create autumnal bouquets featuring milkweed sprayed gold. Ha! It was a look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure I've ever looked at these up close. Weeds can be as beautiful as exotic flowers! Great photos my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I love the butterfly and bee close-ups - such gorgeous creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, now I've confirmed it. You and I are both weird - I DO see the molars with cavities! Debby, I truly love your photographic *eye* - for it always opens my eyes to the beauties and wonders of God's world. Thank you so much for this *natural* gift today!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Teeth, LOL. Yeah, I could see the resemblance since you mentioned it. Isn't it funny how much we tend to learn and observe more carefully as a result of blogging?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely pics. Milkweed is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They do look like teeth.I also think they are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never looked at a milkweed flower that close before!!! They are fabulous and they do look just like teeth!!!!LOL You can bet when I find them I will be checking them out! Gosh, they are very pretty!

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is definitely good to keep learning things! And if these remind us of teeth, it's quite a mouthful of them! I always enjoy your photo and especially the lighting you're so good at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say we're never too old to learn something new, right? I hope I never am :) Thank you for your sweet compliment. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Not sure how old you are, but back in the day we didn't need much to entertain ourselves....unlike some kids today :)

      Delete
  18. Definitely see cavities...guess they just didn't drink enough milk!;))

    Beautiful pics, Debby! And yes, how right you are: we are NEVER too old to learn new things! Discovery, itself, leads to the fountain of youth, I believe!

    Have a wonderful Wednesday, my friend!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...