Saturday, August 18, 2018

Word of God Speak

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:1
~
Many years ago, this old bible was given to us by my mother-in-law.
I don't remember how long we've had it in our possession
but I think it had been in a box with some other old things she had given to us.
I don't even recall seeing it until after she had passed away.


There is nothing personal written within it's pages so surely it did not belong the family
and whoever previously owned it wrote nothing inside either.
It wouldn't surprise me if she found it at a rummage sale or flea market.
Since there is no evidence inside, it's pretty much a mystery.



I can't even find so much as a date of publication or printing on it...
but one look can tell you it has been around for many years.


It's been on the top shelf of the spare closet in a plastic bag, bound together by heavy string,
actually not a very nice place to keep this beautiful old bible, really.
The things is, it's so very fragile...you can barely even turn the pages...
no doubt that I had to be very careful as I was taking the photos.
 As you can see, the spine is nearly worn through.


And it's also very heavy.
Of course it isn't practical at all to carry it around.
A bible like this would most likely have been kept on a table or possibly the mantle.



The actual dimensions are 14" x 18" x 5" thick.
The inside boards are embellished with a rich sapphire and gold paper edged in gold trim.


It really is so very beautiful and has wonderful pictures throughout it's pages.


There's just something about old books...the smell and the way the paper feels against your hand.
I try to imagine the people whose fingers have touched it's pages and what their stories were.


I have not departed from the commandment of his lips;
I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my portion of food.
Job 23:12

   
When she could hide him no longer, she took for him a basket made of bulrushes and daubed it with bitumen and pitch. She put the child in it and placed it among the reeds by the river bank.
Exodus 2:3


Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
Colossians 3:16
~
When I see this big old family Bible, a picture forms in my mind's eye...
I see a family from long ago, sitting in a semi-circle by a fireplace or maybe around the supper table.
The room is dimly lit with only the glow of the burning embers and oil lanterns to read by.
A father is reading from the Scriptures as the mother and all of the children,
and maybe even Grandma and Grandpa, are all listening intently.
The scene is truly heart-warming.


So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
Romans 10:17


Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
Psalm 119:105
~
GOD IS SPEAKING

Can you hear God speaking?
He’s talking to you now.
If you don’t it’s because you’re not listening
Or you don’t understand how.
The whisper of the wind,
The rustle of the breeze blown leaves,
The patter of the rain,
His voice is all of these.
The smile of a stranger,
The sunshine in the morn,
It’s the twinkle of the stars above
As another babe is born.
The Lord’s language is simplicity,
Not made of nouns and verbs.
It’s in the blooming of rose,
It’s in the growing of the herbs.
His words are in this beauty,
Seen only by the wise.
It’s what we take the time to view,
And what we will recognize.
Our Creator gave us everything,
We need not ask for more.
Give him thanks for what we have,
Give him thanks for what’s in store.

~ George C. Clements


But he answered, “It is written,
“Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.”
Matthew 4:4


 
THE VOICE OF GOD

When we hear the voice of God
Speaking to our hearts,
Do we obey and follow Him
Or are we slow to start?
For when the Lord speaks to us,
We need to heed the call
And do the things He wants us to,
Giving to Him our all
I know at times it can be hard
To know the Father's will,
We need to listen to His voice,
For He speaks when all is still
Many times we fret so much
And rush so much about,
We then find all our busyness
May cloud our Savior out
So this is why we take some time
To be still before the Lord,
So He can speak into our lives
And show us so much more.

~M. S. Lowndes



The Lord is able to speak to us in many ways...

through His written Word,
through other people,
through the beauty of creation,
and through just about any circumstance we can imagine.

What a blessed people we are to have a God who created us just for this purpose!

What are some of the ways God speaks to you?

18 comments:

  1. What s blessing is it for me to be sitting here drinking my coffee and reading this post . What a precious family Bible . The Word of God is alive and real . I’m so thankful for the written word of God . Now to get ready for church to hear the Word of God❤️ Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, That inside cover was just lovely. I like to think it was well read and lived out! Glad you got some good pictures to save and send to the family!
    Sweet and thanks for sharing, Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. A most beautiful post, lovely Debby. Your beautiful words have spoken to my heart this morning. Such a beautiful bible that has obviously been well read by the look of it's tattered binding and pages. I too in my mind's eye can picture those who might have thumbed through and read this beautiful old book. Just imagine how many hearts of yesteryear were moved and even led to the Lord by the reading of God's inspired words written within. I love the beautiful illustrations within the covers of your old bible. Thank you for giving me a warm smile on this day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Debby, what a treasure that old, well worn and loved bible that is. I loved seeing the beautiful pictures and reading the words that you shared. How do I hear God?? For me, it's not always in the hearing, but in the seeing of God through other people. Each night, I answer how I experienced God during the day. It makes me accountable in trying to see God through others. Thank you for the beautiful post today. Love and hugs are sent to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely treasure. My family has a story that is upsetting. An uncle sold the family Bible to an antique dealer for a pittance. I remember it and all the information it contained about the family tree. Does yours have a family tree? The vivid blue is marvelous and modern looking even.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Debby ... what a timely post especially for me tonight. I too, love the old Bibles and have a small collection. My heart is heavy with sadness and I find comfort in your words. My husband of 68 years passed away this Thursday, August 16th. I know that God has his arms around him right now but I miss him so. I hope you will pray for me as I pass though this saddest time of my life.
    Love,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear, sweet Debby...what a beautiful and oh-so-precious post! My, what a lovely and special treasure, and what a blessing to have it. Thank you for this beautiful, thought-provoking post. It's just what I needed this evening.

    Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful post! We have an old German Bible possibly even bigger than that, wrapped in plastic in a drawer. We need to find someone who would love it as we begin to pare down. It's in similar shape. The pages of yours are beautiful. It would be nice if there was some history about it for you to hold on to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely, inspirational post, Debby. God's word is such a treasure. I hear God speak through his word, through his creation, through his Spirit, and through his people. He is not silent. And during those times when I don't hear Him, I hold onto the knowledge that He is always with me. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Debby! I love seeing your beautiful old Bible. I too hear God speak to me in His Word. I wonder sometimes how people cope when they don't know the Lord. Thank you for popping in to see me and your well wishes on our move.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful old Bible. I can picture that scene around the table too.
    I hear God speak through his word but also on my morning walks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful, dear, old, precious Bible! I was just writing yesterday about a scene similar to what you described above and how life was so much simpler back then. Oh, for those days! This day and time is so filled with noise and clamor. I often seek a quiet place just to be still and not hear anything other than nature and God surely does speak through it, as you said. I love your description of the ways God speaks to us. I could not agree more. Oh, guess what? I have been going through some old cassette tapes, and I found one with Uncle Paul and Aunt Dorothy and other loved ones at a get-together back in 1985. I can't wait to play it and listen to it ~ well, on one hand, I can't wait, and on the other, I am dreading the tears I know will come to the surface. Mom and Dad are on there, too, of course. Sending love and hugs your way today, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a beautiful bible, was wondering what the copywrite date might be? It may be old but what is written on the pages never gets old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, I wish I could find a date on it but I didn't see one. That's kind of a mystery too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. It is wonderful to have God's word, and to cherish it regardless of the condition of it's pages. God speaks to us now through His word, and to hear from Him, we need to read it...or have it shared with us. So important to come to His word and hide it in our hearts, and the Holy Spirit will bring it to our remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing bible that is, most special.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a treasure! I hear God speak through spending time in his word and through nature...the mountains shout his majesty!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely, Debby. Love the beautiful old illustrations.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...