Wednesday, August 8, 2018

I Was Vintage When Vintage Wasn't Cool

 
If I was a betting person, I would bet that most of you vintage loving friends have pretty much always been that way. I may be wrong here...maybe you're a follower of trends and have jumped on the vintage bandwagon that has been so popular the past several years. Or maybe you are like me and just can't remember a time when you haven't taken a shine to the old-fashioned, crusty, rusty, aged, antiquated, and time-worn objects of yesteryear.


I'm sure there was time when I was growing up that I may not have given much thought to many of those items that were surrounding me...like that old iron chippy white bed that my brothers slept in. Yes I said brothers....plural for brother...two teenaged boys slept together in the same double bed. What I would give to have that wonderful old bed! And just over in the next room (we girls had to walk through the boys' room to get to our room... homemade house problems) was another old metal-framed bed, a dining room buffet and ancient dresser where we put some of our clothes. There, three sisters shared one double bed and I slept on the old roll-away...after I graduated from the baby crib that many of my predecessors had slept in before me...it was in my parent's room downstairs and I was 4 years old before I moved on up to the second floor. Remember the Waltons? That was us.


I guess I just took these things for granted since we didn't have much money and we basically used a lot of things that had been passed down to my parents, most likely from their families. There was nothing fancy or new in our home but it was cozy and warm, adorned with large floral prints...either displayed on the wallpaper (that must be why I still love it) or in the drapes, along with hand crocheted doilies, embroidered dresser scarves, chenille bedspreads and frilly lampshades.
~
And speaking of vintage floral prints, I recently found this gorgeous Waverly fabric at a local thrift store. There were eleven yards and it looked as though it was just cut off the bolt...I paid five bucks for it and I was thrilled! I may use it for curtains or maybe I'll get really adventuresome and upholster a chair and foot stool. It would also make some gorgeous throw pillows.

 
Thinking back to our first home (apartment) after we married, I would describe it as eclectic...no real décor theme but cozy and comfortable with some old things mixed with a few newer ones. Some items we came by on our own, others given to us Jim's parents and mine. As a wedding present, Jim's parents wanted to buy us a bedroom set. We decided we wanted antiques so we went to a local dealer and picked out our new (old) oak bed with the tall, curvy headboard, a matching dresser and an old oak wash stand. Today it resides in our guest bedroom.
 


And then I have this weakness for vintage linens. Surely there must be a local chapter of VLAA out there close...(Vintage Linen Addicts Anonymous).


Remember my friend Susie who gifted me with so many of her treasures a couple of years ago?


I'm looking forward to finding just the right places for them in the farmhouse. I've also shared with you before a collection of vintage jewelry that had belonged to my dear late mother-in-law.
 

I get it out every now and then to just look at it or use it in a photo shoot.



I recently found this stunning necklace (below) at the same thrift shop I got the red fabric. I don't think it's really that old but it looks like it's right out of the '30s or '40s...it more than likely is right out of the 2000s...ha! I really don't care though since I really liked it and considered it a bargain for $5.


 
 
And every once in a while, those of us who enjoy olden things, get extra excited when we come across a deal of all deals...like the glider we bought for only $40 at a yard sale several years ago. Those folks just weren't aware of what they and what they could have gotten for it.  Some of you may remember, all she needed was a little face lift. 😊
 

My friend Bonnie who blogs at Vintage Girl 901 (and really knows her vintage stuff) happened to see my bowl and pitcher in a Facebook post and commented on what she'd give to find a McCoy like that one. I didn't have a clue what she was talking about....I proceeded to tell her I had gotten at a yard sale for $2.00 and I could almost hear her chin hit the floor.
 
 
She told me to look on the bottom and sure enough, McCoy was engraved on it. I googled McCoy turkey bowl and pitcher and hit the mother load, finding tons of them in many colors and range of prices. If I like something, I really don't care much about how much it's worth since I plan to keep it...but I have to admit it's fun to know I've gotten a great deal! And talk about deals...remember Sophie?

 
Thirty-five bucks and she was mine. You may remember that I rescued her from a fate worse than death. She had been severely mistreated and I just had to give her a new home. It kind of breaks my heart when something so beautiful is left in ruins.

 
I still need to do a little work to her (the machine) and have just added it to my already long list of things to do.


Jim also shares my fondness for vintage items...in fact, sometimes I think he's got it worse than me. One of his favorite pastimes is browsing flea markets, yard sales and antique shops...it seems he has a weakness for old dishes and has brought home more than I know what to do with. Recently he brought home a couple of really old lamps and these decorative wall plates made in England.


And then there was this vase....♥♥♥.


This very old spinning wheel was given to us by Jim's mother. She had acquired it from a pair of old spinster twin sisters (say that 5 times fast) who lived in their neighborhood when he was growing up. Their last name was Good so they became loving known to all the neighbors as the Good Girls...go figure!


When my mom became too ill to continue living in her home alone, the family came together to go through her things. These are some of what I kept of hers...they probably wouldn't even bring twenty-five cents at a yard sale but are priceless to me because when I use them, they conjure up sweet memories of her.



So this post has been all about old things that add a little extra joy to my life. As I was writing, it became obvious to me that I would be leaving out a very important truth by not adding this final thought. Yes, I admit I do like to surround myself with these timeless pieces and sentimental treasures. Many of them bring a peace and comfort to me by just having them around. But when all is said and done, I would gladly give them all up in a heartbeat if I had to choose between them and my real Treasure...the One whose unending grace saved a wretch like me. Would the Lord ever ask me to do that? I have no idea. I do, however, know where my true peace and comfort come from and it doesn't come from things. I never want any of these possessions to possess me and if and when I am ever asked to give them up, I will do it.
~
A visit to an old junkyard several years ago inspired me to add this verse of scripture to one of the many photos I took that day.


So what about you? Is your fancy for vintage something that you acquired as a trend or were you like me...vintage when vintage wasn't cool?

22 comments:

  1. Vintage since about age 10 when my mother became vintage. Finally! Those fiberglass curtains were something else! Loved seeing all the treasures you’ve gathered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am vintage thru and thru, Debby, and have many antiques passed down from my grandmother, I even have her old sewing machine much like yours!
    I adore the measures you have shared today, and they are going to be right at home in your farmhouse.
    Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may sound like a exaggeration, but I’m going to tell you anyway! One of my sons read my post this morning and emailed me ‘treasures in heaven’, and this scripture! that gives me goosebumps! Love vintage things so much more than anything new! hugs....we are kindred spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember every item shown in this post and it brought back all kinds of memories. I do not care for vintage per say in my home but I do like them. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am vintage all the way, Debby, love your treasures and they are going to be right at home in your new farmhouse.
    Like you my greatest treasure is in knowing Christ as my Lord.
    Blessings, to you.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving all the vintage pictures my friend. Oh I adore vintage jewelry! I have several pieces. Dang I think I still have some of mine from the 80's that's considered vintage now! LOL! I love things that has a meaning because it belonged to someone that I loved, or held dear to my old heart. I have my great grandmothers old eye spectacles as they called them back in the day. I have a wooden dough bowl deb that my great grandfather made! YES! Several things that belonged to my granny. Oh I would not part with them. Vintage pieces to me go with just about any decor and will look lovely in your farmhouse my friend. I so wish that when you get that Farmhouse that I could help you decorate. Girl, I can't even finish up my own stuff in my kitchen but I would love to come help you. We might talk more than we worked though. Hee-hee. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like all old things too and always have but I do like new things too. : ) I like both mixed together when decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Debby! I am right there with you being "vintage" my entire life and not even realizing it! When the bandwagon came around a few years ago, there was nothing for me to jump on because it all felt normal to me to be this way!! LOL! Maybe it is your and my Ohio roots that have bred such a deep love for this dear old stuff? I LOVE all of your beautiful photos and such gorgeous things! Oh, my, this post was just heartwarming to me, and I am SO glad and thankful you shared it. Sending love and hugs your way today, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very wonderful it's been to read and look through your post. I was vintage before I even knew the word. I have always loved things that have stories attached to them...things that are lovely for reasons beyond the obvious. I absolutely love your bedroom suite! Hearing about your growing up with all your siblings...it makes me smile as I used to share a tiny bedroom with my two brothers until my parents thought I should be on my own...then I moved to the pantry and slept beside the freezer. :)
    What a wonderful bench you found...that would be a dream to sit in it and enjoy a cup of tea!

    I love vintage linens and doilies and pretty much all those sweet details that people used to have to add beauty and comfort to their homes. When I married my husband, his grandmother had just passed away a couple months prior. I'd gone with him to the funeral and he was given a few things to remember her by. One of them was a quilt....not a pretty one, but one that was hers. It sat in a box for a long time. It made me sad, I know that he didn't want anything to happen to it, but I knew she'd be sad that it wasn't used. So now it is on our bed under the quilt I made for us. I believe firmly that even if it's old, it is to be used and loved!

    By and far, things are things, and they can go if the Lord asks.
    Praying you have a lovely day!
    Perhaps today you'll find a treasure?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely loved this post!
    I very much can relate to your love of vintage treasures, and you certainly have some memorable ones that you must really treasure.
    I have been writing a post on my "Hope Chest" and I'll share some of what my grand and great grandmothers have handed down. I cherish each and every piece of what they used in their own homes with their own families.
    I'd have to say my most favorite of all vintage is the linens, embroidered especially.Linen,lace and doilies make my heart skip a beat. :}
    I too, would let it go should I have to because my treasure is in Heaven and I wouldn't want "things" to come in the way of my Savior and I.
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful posting with us, you have brightened my day.
    God bless you~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww Debby, I loved reading about your fondness for vintage and sentimental things. I've always had a weakness for doilies and just a warm, cozy style. You surely did find some wonderful bargains, and I love that Jim shares in your enthusiasm. Your Sophie is something that I would love to have! I don't know whatever happened to my Mom's old Singer, that I learned to sew on! Thank you for sharing the beautiful verse at the end, with your pretty photo. This was such fun to read, dear Debby!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I love this post! You are right, dear friend! I’ve always loved vintage. Loved playing in my granny’s front bedroom that had a suite just like your and a pop belly stove that we pretended to cook on. I’m still for the pitcher and bowl and what I wouldn’t give for that glider. I’m still looking for one! I enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post Debby! I've always loved vintage things, beautiful old linens and dishes especially. Even though I've been decluttering there are many many special things that I am holding on to. They bring back such good memories and they are beautiful to use. I loved seeing all your treasures. I love that guest room, so inviting and cozy. xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love many vintage things, but not all vintage things. I LOVE that Waverly fabric! What an amazing deal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Debby, that is one beautiful piece of fabric. What a find! Yes, like you, I have always loved vintage. I'll take antique furniture over the new, any time. I love that old bedroom suit you and your husband bought. When we moved into the cabin, I boxed up anything made of plastic, and collected all the granite ware I could find. Still use it too. I really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Morning, Yes Vintage always, and you really have some sweet things that you have given life to nce again. I think its great Hubby enjoys going with you and looking for treasures together. I love fabrics and old plates and my favorite are little pitchers for cream or a flower. Very sweet post, thanks for taking us back with you!! Always... Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely post, Debby, and some beautiful treasures.

    Hugs, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Because we have moved so much and lived in foreign countries my treasures such as the iron bed my grandma was born, my mother was born in and I and my two brothers were born in. If we had kept our house I but we sold thinking we would probably die on the foreign field. Well, health issue has come before death and we are home now in a stateside ministry so I think often on those things I gave up. I don't stress over it though, for like you, my greatest treasure is my Savior. Love the pictures, brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. On my Debby …
    A simply amazing post.
    I loved your words and I loved your pictures.

    Inspiring in many ways.

    I hope these last weeks of August go well for you, the year is certainly flying by.

    My good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I was born vintage. Loved your post today, such beautiful treasures yet with purpose, inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yep, me too. I've always loved old things - played "pioneer" when I was little, and Daniel Boone (with Fess Parker) was my favorite TV show. We've been blessed to inherit many vintage things, from furniture to dishes, to photos, and so much more. A niece once commented that we live in a museum! Enjoyed your post, as always. Just now catching up on some blog reading...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am old school vintage lover from way back, I'm 62...Love Fess Parker too. I have always been an old soul and like things from yesteryear, simpler gentler times.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...