Friday, August 21, 2015

A Little Facelift

No...not me...Lord know's I could use one though...lol!
~
We found her at a yard sale near Fancy Gap, VA,
sometime during the years we had our cabin.
 There she sat among several other diamonds in the rough.
She was white and chippy and there was $40 price tag on her.
That's right, FOUR OHH!
Evidently, her owners had no idea what they had or what she was worth.
All you have to do is google vintage glider...
...they are in high demand and you usually can't touch one for less than $$$.
(That's a lot of chicken feed, by the way)


Her design is called "Pie Crust".
I found that out too while I was googling.
It does kinda resemble a pie (mmm...pie!) doesn't it?
~
She spent the next several years of her life this color...I call it primer red.
That's because it is...primer :)
(it matched the metal roof of the cabin perfectly)


She sat out in the yard of the cabin overlooking the fire pit,
until we moved her to her new home in NC....also out by fire pit.


So for years now, she has been sitting out in the elements.
Through rain, through snow, through sleet and ice.
Can you tell?
~
I have to admit, every time I looked out the kitchen window at her,
I felt bad that she was out there, all alone...and looking quite miserable, nonetheless.
A couple of months ago when we decided to add a front porch,
she was the first thing that came to mind.
I knew right then and there that she would have a new place to rest...
...BUT she really needed to have some work done...if you know what I mean!
~
So I went to work on her.
There was a lot of chipping paint that needed to come off before hand
so I performed a little dermabrasion treatment with a wire brush.
I wasn't about to try to remove all of the old finish...only the loose stuff.
She is vintage after all and chippy is good, right?
After I got her all cleaned up, I didn't think she looked too bad.
Rusty and crusty is kind cool and chic, after all.
~
I sprayed her with Rust-oleum Painter's Touch in Moss Green Satin.
And just let me throw this in...see that little gripper handle?


Well, let me just say that you won't catch me using spray paint again without one of these babies.
After nearly killing my finger (actually my whole hand and right arm), I finally got smart.
Sometimes, it takes me a while :)


So here's what she looks like as of today...


I'd say the facelift took about 50 or 60 years off of her!
I really like the color...it's quite "vintage-y", don't you think?
And of course she'll be adorned with a lovely seat cover as she rests in her new home.

Right after my new front porch is completed.

Whenever that is.
~
I hope y'all have a fabulous weekend!

Sharing at:


34 comments:

  1. Debby, she has been rejuvenated!! LOVE the look! You could make a few bucks off this old girl, but I'll bet you can't part with her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful transformation! I love the vintage look and that pie pan crust design is just awesome!
    Have a great weekend!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful transformation! I love the vintage look and that pie pan crust design is just awesome!
    Have a great weekend!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lease of new life for sure! Love the color! Great job, Debbie'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...dearest Debby...you do have such a delightfully funny sense of humour! I love what you did...a wonderful transformation and that colour is vintage-y indeed...I bet she is happy to have a new lease on life!
    Sending hugs your way!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! I need to do that to my metal patio set. Great tip on the sprayer, I haven't seen those before, but will definitely look for it now. Have a great weekend, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen that cool spray handle! I guess it's been awhile since I spray painted. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the rocker that goes with that glider. It was my grandma Jewell's and it is priceless to me. I've been looking for the glider for a long time. You got a STEEL.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. A bargain price and she now looks stunning, love the colour perfect for a new porch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's a beauty! I haven't seen one of these in quite some time. Love the new color, can't wait to see her on the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the new look. Great addition to a front porch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, she looks soooo good. and I just happen to love that color of green.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! The green you chose was a vintage shade and looks perfect on "her". Great job. PS: Love your humor with the facelift and dermabrasion hints : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your sense of humor Debby!
    Beautiful job, and the color is quite stunning. She is going to look radiant sitting there on that new front porch with her new cushions, can't wait to see it all in completion.
    I'm planning on spraying our wood burner, so thank you for that great handle tip. I will certainly look into that.

    Happy weekend to you~ Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love it and would love to own one myself! What a treasure! I love the color you chose as well...very vintage. I can't wait to see your porch. We have one in the planning stage as well and are hoping to build it this fall when it is cooler and the blood sucking mosquitoes are all gone! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a difference a little paint makes! Great job! It will be a perfect addition to the new porch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Debby! 'One man's trash..." right? Good for you for knowing the true value of something that looked like it's useful life was over. You have given it a new coat of paint, and a place in your new space. Wonderful!
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow that is the coolest thing ever. I love the new color and wouldn't mind having one of those myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is an awesome transformation! Love the green. Your glider will be very happy with it's new home on the porch!

    ReplyDelete
  20. She looks great! I can envision her on that soon to be new porch already. I know you can!

    ReplyDelete
  21. {{sigh}} she is beautiful, my friend. The color you used is breathtaking and really transformed the little beauty :) Happy Monday, sweet Debby. Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm thinking my grandparents had a glider like this, and it was green, too! Love your adventurous spirit when it comes to DIY projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy...I've been checking out your lovely guest house...would so love to stay at this lovely place. We are only about 3 1/2 hours from you. Hmmm...maybe we can work that out some day!

      Delete
  23. I do love that color, great way to upcycle it!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great facelift!! It will look lovely on your new porch.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, what a transformation! Your hard work really paid off. That is such a lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Debby, memories flooding my heart right now! My granny had one of these on her porch and as children we spent much time there...and it was GREEN! Wonderful face-lift...you'll so enjoy this piece!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Debby, memories flooding my heart right now! My granny had one of these on her porch and as children we spent much time there...and it was GREEN! Wonderful face-lift...you'll so enjoy this piece!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  28. She's beautiful! I've always wished for one of those gliders.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a find! You did a great facelift on it. I love the glider, and I really like knowing the name of the design. And Fancy Gap! Love that name, too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A facelift does work for some, right? She is beautiful. Also, thanks for the tip on using the spray handle. I have a similar glider. She is ok for now, but might need to get some cosmetic surgery soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Debby, absolutely love the color! Simply darling!!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...