Saturday, June 23, 2018

ALL ABOARD!!

Well, it's taken me a couple of weeks to find the time to get this posted but as promised,
 here are a few highlights from our train ride on the Cass Scenic Railroad.



You don't have to be a train enthusiast or a history buff to enjoy visiting here,
but you may very well be one or both when you leave!
We have been talking about visiting this place since we lived in Kentucky
and our boys were still just little guys...about 30 years if I was to guess.
It was about a five hour drive from our home in NC and it was a very nice drive...
...for most of the way at least.


This is pretty much what the journey looked like for about an hour before we reached Cass.

And just let me warn you, there are a lot of photos so if this doesn't interest you,
please feel free to click out at any point! How will I ever know?? πŸ˜‰
~
The tiny little town of Cass, West Virginia has a population of 52 at last count in 2010.
You can click on the link to find out all about it if you like...it's really quite an interesting place.
I really wish we would have had more time to explore the tiny town, itself.
The town basically consists of the train station, a few old buildings, the old company store,
and 52 company homes where the loggers/railroad workers and their families lived.

source
In the early 60s the logging ceased and the railroad shut down, leaving much of the town deserted.
Today, many of these homes have been completely restored to their original condition
and are rented out to guests who visit the railroad.


Above is the old lumber mill that has been converted to various shops and such.
I failed to get a shot of the company store which is now a gift shop and restaurant
so I am borrowing one from Google.

source

We arrived at the station about an hour before the train was to get there at around noon
and we enjoyed a picnic lunch I had packed on a nearby picnic table while we waited on Shay #2.
Shay, you say? You can find out all you ever wanted to know about them here.







To say the least, these Shay locomotives are pretty amazing pieces of engineering,
no pun intended...well, kinda. πŸ˜€



The time had come and the train was ready to leave the station...
...ALL ABOARD!!


Jim is all smiles as we get ready to pull out of the station...
...actually, I should say push out...the locomotive actually pushes the cars up the mountain.


Josh, our engineer (above) is a 4th generation railroad worker at Cass.
His great-grandfather actually worked as cook for the loggers back in the 1920s.
I can't even imagine the back-breaking work these men endured,
spending as much as six months away from their families up on the mountain...
cutting down huge trees, sending them down the mountain, day in and day out for over 40 years.
Josh narrated our journey both up and back down and knows this railroad like the back of his hand.

Click on the short video as we get started...I love to hear that whistle!






Slowly but surely, we started our slow trek up the mountain.



I stood up much of the time to be able to get photos from both sides.
 Our seats were at the end of the car and above is a shot of what was right below my feet.




I prayed hard that the predicted rain would be delayed and my prayers were answered!
God is so good...the views were breathtaking.



Finally, we made it to the top of Bald Knob, elevation 4,843 feet above sea level
and the third highest point in West Virginia and the Allegheny Mountains.


The observation deck does look a bit rickety but I assure you, it was quite sound.
The rustic design seems to add the charm.





The view from the top nearly took my breath away.




At the very end of the tracks sits a caboose that may be rented out for weekend camp outs.
If you are the adventurous type, you too can be left on top of Bald Knob to your own devices!
The little red caboose can sleep up to 6 adults, comes equipped with a coal stove, coal, 
kindling wood, water (not running) for drinking and another container for dishes, etc., 
microwave, small fridge, minimal electricity for lighting and keeping your phone charged.
But there's a catch...there isn't any cell phone service.
Oh, and we mustn't forget to mention the outhouse...that is of major importance.
Once the train drops you off in the afternoon, that's it...bye-bye, choo-choo!
You. Are. On. Your. Own.
This sounds really fun to me for some odd reason.


source

So after spending about 30 minutes up top, it was time to make our descent down the mountain.



About half way down we stopped at Whittaker Station, what remains of the original logging camp,
where the old fire tower still stands.




Our crew took a few minutes to chill under a shade tree while others visited the facilities.


Soon it was time to give everything a quick once-over.




 This little guy should be considered our hero.
He alone, shoveled an unbelievable amount of 4-5 tons of coal to get us up the mountain!
Can you just imagine that?




Our break was over and woo-woo-woooooo...it was time to make our last leg of the journey.
It was a fabulous experience and we would love to return one day.
And maybe next time, we might even be crazy enough to stay in that caboose...
...or not.😊

21 comments:

  1. Wow Debby thankyou for sharing your lovely pics with us ,what a wonderful time you both had xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a lot of fun. I bet my nephew would love going there. He's getting really into trains right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little red caboose looks fabulous. Wouldn't it be fun to stay there. Gorgeous scenery and fabulous photos, Debby. What a fabulous experience to see that beautiful country from a steam train. There is just something about a steam train and the chug chugging and the sound of the whistle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! That was a fascinating journey. I would love to take a ride like that, but would probably be crying all the ways I remember how much Jake would have enjoyed that.Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What marvelous pictures. My husband and I love to go for train rides. Sadly, he no longer can and it makes him grumpy. I showed him the pictures and he really enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That train was full! Looks like a very nice ride and the views are amazing. Glad you finally were able to take this ride! Happy summer to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Debby! What an amazing journey...just breathtaking. I love all the tidbits of history you shared and for me....I'd stay in the caboose! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just looks like so much fun! Staying in the caboose even sounds like fun. I really liked seeing photos of you and your hubby. Cute couple!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brings back memories of when the seniors from our church went there last year. I took some of the same pictures that you took. : ) Funny how we both walked around the same places just at different times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing! That was great! I think the caboose would be an awesome time!!! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy you had such a wonderful experience, Debby....it just sounds wonderful and the scenery is gorgeous! Cass sounds like some of the little towns around AZ that were once thriving copper mining towns. The caboose is really cute and might be a fun adventure; but I'd probably be asking, "Any bears in them thar woods?" Seriously, first thought that came to my mind!

    Thanks for sharing your fun experience with us!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like so much fun and the views are outstanding. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Loved the pictures Debby. You and your man looking so cute. I kinda felt like I was riding along with you for a bit. The Caboose sounds fun well except for that whole bathroom deal! LOL! I don't know though...I can get real claustrophobic quick. LOL! I am so glad you got to go. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you posted about your train ride. I rode a similar train in Bryson City, NC on the Great Smokey Mountains Railroad and it was so much fun. Our "guide" told us all about the history of the area and even how to properly pronounce Appalachian. Now I have another train ride to aim for and Cass, WV isn't too far away either. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I would love that train ride! I've ridden the one in Colorado several times but not this one. Love the photo with the black smoke ahead of you! It gets all over you, doesn't it? But it's quite an experience...one you never forget! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post!! My dad is a big train lover so I will have to keep this in mind to visit and take him with us. Loved all the pictures and hearing the whistle blowing. Hope your week is off to a great start! Have a good afternoon.

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun ride ; thanks for sharing! So many amazing pictures along the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad you had a good weather day for your trip to Cass! I knew you would love it. And that whistle! Could listen to it every day. Next time you come, we'll get together!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks like you had a wonderful time! So happy you got to go! God bless you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful trip for you and your hubby, Debby! I'm so glad you have these special memories with each other.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...