Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Cultivating the Hodgepodge

Happy Hump Day!

It's been a couple of weeks since I have hodgepodged and I must say I've missed it.
Welcome back, Joyce...I hope you had a relaxing holiday weekend.
~
So what's been going on around here?
Well, let's see....my little container garden seems to be coming right along...mostly.
And I am learning some new things...



...like why, after my zucchini put out such gorgeous sunny yellow blooms,
are they now completely falling off at the stem?


So it seems that the expert gardener that I am, (ahem) did not know that this is kind of normal.
I learned that usually the first blooms to appear are those of the male persuasion...
...and we all know that boys can't have babies, right?
After they shrivel up and fall off, the female blooms come along and bear the "children".
What a novel idea!
So we'll see how many little baby golden zucchinis I wind up with.
And below is my one and only (so far) eggplant in the making.


I was stunned by the beauty of the bloom...


...and of course, only God would think to make it purple!


The tomatoes are tomato-ing right along as they should...


...but I will be surprised if I get any sweet red bell peppers off of my poor, sorry looking plant.
It is losing leaves right and left and every bloom just falls off leaving nothing behind.
Evidently, I have done something wrong...oh well...so it goes...
...you win some and lose some but it's not over until it's over so we will see!
~
Anyways, let's get on over to the Hodgepodge, shall we?

It's where Joyce asks the questions on her blog and we answer them on ours.
~
1. Describe your 30's in one sentence. If you're not yet 30 tell us one thing you hope to accomplish once you hit that particular decade.

It was a time of transition and transformation...a time when negative circumstances brought about positive changes...the year was 1989, I was 35 and Jesus became my Savior.

2. Is it harder for you to exercise or eat healthy?

Well, since you asked, I must say the older that I get, it seems to be easier to make better choices... not that I always do but I am getting so much better at it! When you are a young minded person (that would be me) and faced with the fact that your body is beginning to fail you in some areas, it can really be an eye opener. Starting to have a few health issues may have been a blessing in disguise for me. I am proud to tell you that I am keeping up with my rebounding exercises (mini-tramp) and adding to my steps weekly. I'm up to over 3 miles a day and have a new goal every week. That may not sound like much but it's HUGE for me! I broke a spring on my old rebounder over the weekend and a new and better one is on it's way from Amazon. I'm still using it...oh-so-very-carefully until the new one arrives. Sometimes I crave pizza and chocolate and I'll eat it...but more times than not, I crave vegetables and I eat them...and that is also HUGE!

3. June 7th is National VCR Day. Huh? Anyway this reminded me of something I saw on Facebook listing household items we no longer have and the VCR was on it. I couldn't put my hands on that list, but found another list here of 21 items we all had ten years ago, but which are now obsolete-

bookshelves (WHAT!!???), drip coffee makers, alarm clocks, file cabinets, desktop computers, printers, printed phone books, answering machines, fax machines, paper shredders, a Rolodex, CD racks, CD burners, china cabinets, home phones, entertainment consoles, DVD players, calculators, takeout menus, incandescent light bulbs, and cable TV

Your thoughts? How many on the list do you still have? Still use?


Obsolete, really...just who are these folks who make up these lists, anyway? They, no doubt, are the same ones who tell us how to decorate our homes or what we should and should not wear. Of the items listed, here is what we still have AND use: bookshelves (DUH!), drip coffee maker with a twist...ours actually is a hybrid that uses filters and a pot OR K-cups. Jim likes to make a pot but when it's just me, I'm a K-cupper. Hubby still likes his alarm, we still have file cabinets, my old desktop PC is connected to my printer and even though I don't use it a lot, it still keeps plugging along...there are no phone books unless I find one stashed in a drawer (and I throw it in the trash before Jim finds it), no answering machine for many years since we haven't had a landline for many years, never had a fax or paper shredder at home but still do so at work, no Rolodex or CD racks, CD burner is built into laptop, china cabinet...are you kidding me? Where in the world would I put my teacups and dishes? Do they think we eat off paper plates all the time? (well, maybe I do most of the time), yes to the entertainment console/TV stand with shelves...our isn't hanging on the wall and there is a DVD player attached. Jim still likes his old calculator (no smart phone) and his take-out menus, and I will buy incandescent light bulbs until I can't any longer....AND finally, we have Direct TV, not cable. Whew!

4. What's something you see disappearing in the next ten years?


I'd say that it's going to be hard to get your hands on a working dumb phone, for sure. I have already warned Jim and he seems pretty resigned to that truth....but there are going to be folks who will hold onto what they like, no matter what it is for however long they can. And I highly doubt china cabinets and book shelves will be one of them.

5. How did you celebrate your birthday this past year? Is that typical?


I didn't really remember at all what I did to celebrate my birthday last year so I got on Facebook and went back to September 15, 2017. This was my post...


Just tryin' to obey the rules....


Is that typical? To tell you the truth, I usually don't like to make a big deal out of my birthday...well, except for that one time.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

And speaking of good thoughts, I am getting really excited!
We will be leaving at o'dark thirty on Friday morning for West Virginia.
By noon, we'll be taking that train ride to the top of the world.
Stay tuned!

30 comments:

  1. Book shelves will never be obsolete here....can't imagine a room without a bookcase or two. We have a dvd player (I know, unbelievable)..and I am so with you re the china cabinets, after all pretty teacups need somewhere to show off. So excited for you for your train ride. ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed my visit immensely. Lots of fun stuff to read! What a silly list about what's obsolete. Maybe in some houses but not here. We have a small corner china cabinet (filled with tea cups), lots of book shelves, DVD player and CDs, but we have no incandescent light bulbs (hubby rooted them all out), alarm clocks or rolodexes.

    Your photos of the egg plant blossom are exquisite. Such a beauty!!

    Wishing you a beautiful day, Debby! Thanks for all the food for thought.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that about zucchini, Debby! I do love your eggplant blossom...certainly God's work of art! I guess I'm one that's still hanging onto my VCR/DVD player. Hey, I still have Disney movies that my grands might want to watch!! AS for bookshelves, yes to those, too. I loved your ending thought for the day. Have fun on your train ride...wheeeeeeee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debby, your veggies are looking good and the pictures of them are breath taking. I need to know what type of lens you have there. I have about 5 tomatoes bushes in buckets. Two are loaded with green maters, one has a few and two are not doing anything. I noticed late yesterday afternoon that my cukes are fixing to start running and my squash is nice and green. If they don't drown! It's feast or famine in Florida with the weather. Most of my pepper plants are looking decent. I have had a little time with some herbs this year and I normally do really well with them. I think part of my problem is having the time recently to mess with it all. Loved your answers Debby. I must say I am laughing at that list that is obsolete! NOT AT MY HOUSE IT'S NOT! LOL! Drip coffee maker all the way for me cause I drink more than one cup and oh yes, hubby uses alarm clock every day and then sets it for me when he's leaving at 4-4:30 in the mornings for work. I still have a rolodex sitting on my desk and use it quite often. Printed phone book? Oh yes! Mercy, I guess I might never catch up with the times. LOL! I am excited for you about your trip. I know ya'll will have so much fun. Praying for safe travels, good times and plenty of memory making going on. Hugs and blessings to you dear friend.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for all your good choices. Three miles? You are doing great! Hope that you harvest good things from all your plants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My DH had great success with zucchini and tomatoes the first couple of years and after that, well, it just didn't work. Thanks for the great answer to number one and also all the so-called obsolete items. You described our house pretty much there. I love a china cabinet and will hold onto the DVD, VCR and CD players as long as I can. What would I do with all the tapes and CDs? Have a super day. Loved your explanation about the zucchini sex life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You may have some tomatoes ripe when you get back...they sure look good. Hubby and I discussed the 'obsolete list'...very funny...well kinda! Have fun on your trip! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a pepper plant in a pot on my porch (tongue twister for sure!). It has grown beautifully, so leafy and a lovely green but I am wondering if there will be any actual peppers. I wish I had the green thumb gene. My mom is amazing and just looks at plants and they grown. Our birthdays are close in date and spent in a similar fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Debby! I enjoyed your hodgepodge per usual. :) So glad about #1 in your life. That was a good choice for something that might be obsolete, too. Those tomatoes look great and I'm sure you'll have more zucchini than you want cuz that seems to be the case for all vegetable gardens. Good for you for your exercising that have become habits instead of ideas. Well done! Happy Wednesday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No one's taking my bookshelves away from me, that's for sure! And that pale purple blossom is just gorgeous! Thank you Lord for giving us color and texture and eyes to see and brains to perceive them. Have a wonderful time on Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photography blows me away and makes me want to get outside with my camera. Speaking of container gardens, the only "babies" we have gotten so far, other than a few little tomatoes, are the sweet peppers. The cucumber is full of blooms, so we'll see if we get babies. Loved the way you spent your 2017 birthday - 2018 may call for a repeat! Enjoy your trip and I can't wait to see plenty of pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved your hodgepodge and photos as always. I had never seen an eggplant blossom. How exquisite! We have never been able to grow peppers here in NH. Once in awhile we would have a tiny pepper, but it would take it all summer to get to that size.

    Your random thought was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debby, I loved reading this post . . . you are delightful. Also, thanks for the story about the zucchini plant, I did not know that and will share it with gardening friends. I look forward to the blossoms as much as the fruit because we love them stuffed and fried. It's probably good to leave the first males alone so that the plant continues to give fruit. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a lovely day and happy gardening.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It will be interesting to see how your veggies will turn out.. The tomatoes are looking really good.Have a wonderful rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wouldn't be surprised if landlines disappeared. It seems like everyone has a cell phone these days, and they are getting more and more obsolete.

    ReplyDelete
  16. For some reason, Blogger is being temperamental today and won't deliver comments to my email! Anyway, so I'm answering here. Thank you so much for the nice comment. And I think Sandra might have been onto something, that it's the fact that I turn 70 AND become a great grandma for the first time happening simultaneously!! (almost). And thank you for your prayers. A good friend of mine encouraged me to journal and it's been a wonderful habit to develop, and I think really helping me focus in on my daily Bible reading and God's gifts and grace to us. God bless you, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so jealous that your zucchinis have already blossomed! I've just barely gotten mine in the ground up here in PA.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are doing so well with your health goals. Congrats!

    Eek! Apparently we are using a lot of "obsolete" items at our house.

    Enjoy your trip! Looking forward to your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I do so love eggplant fresh from a garden. After my spinal surgery I had to give up on my garden.
    Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That corner of your porch looks like a perfect place to be in the summer! I love the pictures of your plants...this is the first summer of not going to my daddy's to look at his garden. He passed away a year ago Feb. & a new family is living in the house. Brought back a lot of great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good question about who makes up these lists. I stopped watching HDTV cause the decorators made every house look the same. Off-whites and neutrals- blah!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love home-grown vegetables!
    Enjoy your trip!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your garden looks like its off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh the delightful colours of spring! I love seeing the cheerful squash flowers when I open up my greenhouse. They are supposed to taste delicious, but I've never eaten them. Don't worry about the plant that isn't doing much now...perhaps it'll surprise you later. Love the porch sign...would love to have a porch!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great post, Debby! Your container garden looks great....ours is usually a hit or miss here in AZ. Last year we had a bumper crop of tomatoes, but this year they are kind of skimpy. Oh well, as you say!

    Here, here to book shelves, china cabinets, landline phones, printers, DVD players, file cabinets and desktop computers (it's an Apple, anyway). We do have iPhones, so the landline may be going away at some point. Just what are these people thinking, anyway?

    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  26. I enjoy these post because I get to learn more about you each time! You take the most beautiful photos...any tips? Your container garden seem to be doing quite well. I usually put most of my herbs in containers. We just got rid of our land line since no one contacts us that way...and saved us $30 a year! I think at some point they will stop providing land lines because the cost to up keep just won't be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope you enjoy your trip and your train ride! May God bless you and protect you and see you safely back home at the appointed time. :) Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...